Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 47 CJ-2A front frame repair

47 CJ-2A front frame repair

I recently purchased front frame rail p/n A111143 and A111144 to repair the front frame on my 47 CJ 2-a. The rectangular cross section of the replacement parts is significantly smaller that the original frame horns. This creates a major misfit in attempting to attach the new parts. Has anyone encountered this and if so how did you manage to fit the smaller pieces to the original frame horns?

From KW all I got was duh!

Thanks for any info on how to resolve this

Don Wilson

Don, shoot some pictures if you can of old vs new. It sounds like you have the wrong parts.

Jeep45,
    I have repaired the front frame horns on my Heep. I used a donor frame that was rotten in the middle but solid on both ends. I wasn't on any forums at the time so I didn't take many photos except for the before. Please take some photos of what you have on your Jeep, and the parts so I can get a good idea of what exactly is going on.

I was going to purchase the replacement front cross member, because the donor frame's cross member was fubared. The one that is called out for the 2A is actually for an MB or GPW in the catalog, and doesn't have the drag link bushing installed., and would have to have machine the old one off the original and weld it back on the new cross member. I chose to recreate the damaged ends, since I didn't have drivability issues with the original set up. This left the center section in place, and new drop down legs fabricated to meet up with the frame rails. All in all, it was probably more work, but that was the way I chose to do it.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-29-2021 at 10:11 PM.

I have a suspicion that somewhere in this mix there are CJ 2, and MB/GPW parts mixed together. Pictures of the frame and the parts you have will really help.

Mike is generally really helpful, but sometimes you do get "Duh???"

47 CJ 2A Frame restoration

I had written a post but it disappeared. The Forum is an incredible resource but occasionally drives me batty I have reclaimed my frame from the restoration shop and it would do a new JEEP proud. The entire front end has been redone including fabricating a new front crossmember Also, new spring hangers, new rear crossmember, new transfer case crossmember and a general cleanup.
    I generally not too successful at posting pictures but here goes! I am going to try again. Should be 4 pictures.

The Forum is an incredible resource. There is nearly unlimited info and assistance available.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Don Wilson
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don,

Your frame is looking great! Glad you were able to get your pictures posted.

Merry Christmas to you!

Looking great Don! This is a great forum. Nice people and great information. You are certainly part of the resource.

I will drop a note to the Administrators. I upgraded to Windows 11 and now I am having some difficulty with the forum even using the Fire Fox browser. With Windows 10 and Fire fox I had no issues. All the other browsers had some "quirks". Now with Windows 11 something else is going on.

The software of the Forum drives us all to explore the outer limits of our vocabulary at times, but generally things finally get posted. My biggest issue is the time-out feature. I'll start typing an answer or comment, then I have to go look something up. By the time I get back, I've timed out... Grrr....

Many times I will compose in Word, get what I want to say into just the right format, then cut and paste the information.

Your pictures posted great.

And, agreed - the frame looks better than it did new.

I have the same “time-out” issue. I solved it by checking the box just below where I enter my user name that keeps me logged in.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Good tip Jeff, yes checking the keep me logged in box should do the trick on the timeouts.