Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Forum - '47 Jeep Truck

Drive Thru Order

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Geez Senior Chief Larry B, would you like fries with that? Ha ha it looks like you peaked Larry's interest that's for sure! Looking forward to your project Andy.
    Wise Apple..

The only thing more rare than Jeepsters in their original state are early trucks, and I could make a case that the old trucks are even more rare because they got beaten to death or got modified into something not at all like their original state.

Harumff...

That is the "heavy duty Timken differential", commonly called the clamshell rear end, same as on the '48 2WD.

Different parts books show that there might have been two different differentials used. I recommend splitting it apart, look closely at the bearings for cracked rollers and check the safety wires on the ring gear. Really bad juju Bwana if a roller comes apart or if a bolt head breaks off and escapes the safety wire.

A. By every reference I can find, 4-T (4WD Truck) # 10087 would have indeed been the 87th truck to come down the line (if they didn't get the serial plates juggled in the box ...). We saw one earlier than this about a year ago, I don't recall the exact number - maybe in the teens - but it seemed to be fated to be cannibalized (er, customized).

B. The cluster would be called the 'engine turned, white on white - long pointer cluster". Note that the oil pressure gauge goes to 80 PSI - they were really optimistic. By '48 they had gone to a 60 PSI gauge.

C. And, you do have the flat horn button. Be careful taking it apart - parts and pieces for that style just aren't available because of the relatively short life of that style.

D, Last of all - do you know if there is a 1 or 2 in front of the 67-thousand some odd miles on the odometer. My '48 had an unseen "2" in front of the 50K and it showed it when we got into it. You have a lot of metal to work with.

I finally have a brother on the Forum in the midst of all of these CJ's and wagons!!!!!

That is a super nice start on a restore that's for sure! The 87'th built, in that good of condition is rare for sure.