Thread: Small amount of fan Play

Small amount of fan Play

While removing radiator and bringing my coolant to an acceptable level for winter, I discovered there was a small amount of play in my Fan, Is this normal or a sign of something that needs to be addressed? see short video

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlN107vmGA4n9mSI...faDiM?e=kIjKnb
    Last edited by jeep_n_john; 11-24-2021 at 01:09 AM.

Good eye jnj and the video was perfect! The water pump is shot. No play allowed there. That ones pretty bad.

Good eye and good video. That would have been a pizzler if you ran the Jeep and got some pressure in the system.

And, we have proven they are not worth trying to rebuild ....

Thanks guys, that's the conclusion I came to, but did not want to admit to it to myself. Keep running into a lot of OH, I got to fix that, and get a new WIDGET, while I am digging into the jeep.

I am never one of those lucky ones to buy something and never have an issue.

Well, I was not really expecting that anyhow with an old Jeep. While I did not pay a ton of money for this jeep, I did pay an amount where some of this stuff should have been taken care of. Running into a little more than I expected.
    Thus far things I have found and replace or on the to do list are pretty much regular maintenance and when fixing them and are relatively low cost and will give me the peace of mind to know its been done and I don't have to worry about it. When It started, it seemed to run nice and smooth and had good oil pressure, so that's a plus.

Where do most people Source their parts? I looked at NAPA and a complete replacement pump was $99. On the Kaiser site they $66 with new pully ($55 without pully). The Kaiser site seems pretty fair for this part as long as quality is up to par. Are there any other sources I should be looking at?
    Last edited by jeep_n_john; 11-25-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Kaiser-Willys and Walck's are two major suppliers of Jeep parts.

At times you can find what you need at the local NAPA or box auto stores, but if you're looking for specific Jeep parts (like a water pump for an L-134 engine), the Jeep speciaalty stores are generally pretty cometitive.

There are others, and other folks will have their go-to sources as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!