Thread: Winter storage dilema - cooling system

Threaded View

Winter storage dilema - cooling system

Hi,
    I have posted a first startup thread and that event fairly well. Got the jeep running, Needs carb clean so it will idle, but ran good from a secondary fuel tank. During that task, it looked like the radiator was empty, so I topped it off with water. It only took about half gallon to top off the cooling system.

So I really do not have a heated building, so work on this project is coming to a halt until next spring. I wanted to drain the cooling system as I was not sure what it tested at and I did not want it to freeze up and crack the block or radiator as I added water. I familiarized myself and found out there were two drainage petcocks one on the radiator and the other on the block behind the generator. No big deal. Got the tools and collection buckets I needed. When I opened up the radiator cap, I could see no fluid. Pretty sure my radiator has a slight leak as I can see some spots on the fins.

Attachment 8869

I Opened the petcock on the radiator which seemed suspect and all I could get out if it was a drip drip drip. So I loosened the lower radiator hose at the water pump and pulled it back slightly. I got a steady stream of fluid here, see pic below.
    There was no reason the fluid should not be streaming out the petcock IMO. I am guessing it is clogged with sludge at this point.

Attachment 8870

Next I went to the petcock on the engine block. I could see damp somewhat greasy spot behind the generator, but there was no petcock there, See picture below (ignore mirror tool).

jeep2.jpg

I cant tell if it is broke off or if it is unthreaded. Here is a picture I took with a mirror, and it looks like nothing is in there. see picture . I am surprised coolant did not come out when I started the engine, maybe it did not get warm enough to open thermostat?

jeep3.jpg

I took a look at my spare parts engine and that actually had like a 45 degree elbow with a rubber house mounted to it. Thinking they clamped the end closed and this allows easier access to draining the block

1) Any ideas how to drain engine block so it does not freeze this winter given this situation?

2) Any ideas why coolant was being forced out here when I started the engine?

3) Is the engine petcock a threaded fitting or a press-fit?

PS, RIght now, I am looking for my radiator tester to see what it checks out at, May be lucky and it will test OK with what I got, but I am doubting it. PO had it in an attached garage to her condo, so It was above freezing, I have an unheated pole barn.
    Last edited by jeep_n_john; 11-16-2021 at 08:50 PM.