Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A LITTLE HISTORY OF THE JEEPS IN THE PHILIPPINES (summarised from a website I can no

A LITTLE HISTORY OF THE JEEPS IN THE PHILIPPINES (summarised from a website I can no

Well The Philippines was destroyed by WW2 with the Japanese destroying infrastructure and vehicles as the Americans retook the islands, so at the end of the war the only vehicles left were the US Jeeps. So the Politicians and connected were teh only ones, besides US service members who had access to Jeeps.
    With limited stocks a civilian having a US Jeep soon became a status symbol.
    Of course shortly after the war the Jeeps were decommissioned and many more were imported from around the world, giving Filipinos more access to Jeeps.
    Building replacement parts was the beginning of the Filipino car industry, it didn't take long for the Filipinos to start stretching the Jeeps on longer chassis to to use as public transport then they started copying the shells, remembering these were still status symbols.

That's when you get the early "Owner Type Jeeps" like mine the M38 replica, that were "exact" copies of the US Jeeps (except the drive chain of course), after that the Filipinos started modifying them and the longer "Jeepneys" that carry up to 30 people became more common.
    Still when I drive my car a very old man will sometiems salute as I drive past with a grin, sometimes I get an old couple see the car, jab each other in the side as smiles spread and reminisce about the past,or just plain come up and start asking about the car.
    Even though mine is a copy you have to understand that this WAS the Fililpino car industry almost in full until Delta motors in 1962 (Chrysler Philippines opened in 1963), a Toyota joint venture, who made Toyotas and parts under license, as well as striking out on their own with the Delta "Jeeps" and the Delta Mini Cruiser used by the Philippines Army. THis Delta motors/Toyota connection is why most of the Owner Type Jeeps run 1.2 liter Toyota 4K engines, cheap and indestructible.
    So basically most of the old cars on the roads are one version or another of these replica Jeeps. Daily in Manila I will only see a handfull, but heading to the provinces they almost get to be the majority of the cars - the combination of galvanised/stainless steel and older bullet proof Toyota running gear make them last a very long time, even without maintenance. Of course some in Government are pushing to have these old reliable cars taken off the roads as they pollute and are "dangerous" (ie taking car lobbyists money), so far they have failed but they keep pushing. I have only seen one other early replica same as mine and have only heard of one US M38 still being driven daily, unfortunately by an American who is driving it into the ground without servicing it. There is a special car registration type that is more relaxed for collectors cars but you are only allowed to drive on weekends, I think this is what the Jeep clubs here use mainly as handbrakes, interior lights, rear license plate lights, etc are now required by law.

As an aside in Manila the Neuvo Riche are becoming very status obsessed (and arrogant as attested by non-Manila people commenting all the time) and as my wife said "They will not let you in (changing lanes) because they think you are poor.", in fact I see this a lot some new bank loan SUV will often times try to block me until a big foreigner arm comes out the door with a big foreigner finger then they realise it's not an old poor farmer.... To counter that almost everytime I drive my car I'll get someone pull alongside roll the window down and give me a thumbs up if they can't speak English or a "Nice car!" as it does represent the recent history of The Philippines.

It will come as no surprise since Filipino drivers often just pay to pass their driving tests that they are terrible on the roads, I have driven in several countries including in Asia and these guys really are bad and take some getting used to. If you plan on driving here just make sure you take full insurance until you work out how they interpret the standard International driving laws.

Delta Motors:
    delta.jpg

Thank you for the education! Very interesting to say the least.

Great insight into the Philippines! You story makes me hungry for more. Very interesting the way Toyota got introduced. A neat little engine swap idea for a Jeep that's for sure. The resourcefulness of the people living on an island never ceases to amaze me. They built an industry by keeping resources moving.

As drivers go, a quick trip to any large city in the USA will show you just how arrogant, obstinate and self important drivers can get, when they believe they are the most salient thing on the road.

WOW FW you need to write a book and get it published !!!
    That’s a awesome history lesson, you and Larrbeard need to hook up.
    As far as drivers and driving habits it sounds like Puerto Rico, we try and go every year with the in-laws and we fly into San Juan and drive to the west side of the island to Rincon and stay. The first year we went her folks were already there so I said let’s just rent a car and I’ll drive
    Bad idea and it was the last year for that non sense, those people make a 5 lane freeway out of a 3 lane freeway. Every car down there has dents and dings on every side, soooo we now get a taxi and take a couple Muscle Relaxers for the 2.5 hour road trip
    Last edited by TJones; 12-06-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Here's a video of the current Owner Type Jeep scene in one of the enthusiasts clubs, as you can guess being fully customisable people take it to the limits.

https://youtu.be/CeHNsDw30q0?t=53

There is one old mechanic I met who bought all the old US muscle cars when the US left Clark Airbase, he has a bunch of very nice 60's cars in front of his shop, hence me stopping there. We got talking and I told him I wanted to put a V8 into a Jeep and hot rod it. He started talking about when he was young they used to put 350's into Jeeps with a shortened Volve differential and drag race them in Manila. So this sort of thing has been going on ever since they could.

It was said that the first car race was held 10 minutes after the second car was built, so it doesn't matter where or when vehicles exist, they are going to be tinkered with.

That video is pretty Awesome!!!!
    It looks like most of those are Stainless body’s in the video, I looked real hard at a Stainless Body when I started my project but didn’t want to invest in a tig welder when I stated off so I stuck with a Repli-tub, it was only a 2.5 hour road trip to pick up.
    Chuck Wright from Pro Car tried to talk me into stretching mine and making it 2 wheel drive with a LS motor, glad I didn’t go that route now.

We’ll maybe I’m glad
    Last edited by TJones; 12-07-2021 at 06:20 AM.

Wow that isn't what I expected! They have created there own very unique scene there. Nice group of people. Serious work on those rides!

There are some neat ideas there. Nothing I would do to a Jeep I own but cool anyway.

I had a friend who was evacuated from Clark Airbase when it closed. Volcano was erupting if I recall correctly. The Air Force made him abandon everything except what he was wearing then took their time approving his claim for the stuff they forced him to leave behind. I forget the details now but one item was a nice motorcycle that he was somehow supposed to prove he owned without the paperwork and/or pictures he had to leave behind.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Great insight into the Philippines! You story makes me hungry for more. Very interesting the way Toyota got introduced. A neat little engine swap idea for a Jeep that's for sure. The resourcefulness of the people living on an island never ceases to amaze me. They built an industry by keeping resources moving.

As drivers go, a quick trip to any large city in the USA will show you just how arrogant, obstinate and self important drivers can get, when they believe they are the most salient thing on the road.
    I've stayed in LA for a bit over a year and the people high on consumables, spaced out on pharmaceuticals, or just plain spaced out/drunk behind the wheel was interesting to say the least, at least the pot/pill heads weren't aggressive - not like the bicyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    That video is pretty Awesome!!!!
    It looks like most of those are Stainless body’s in the video, I looked real hard at a Stainless Body when I started my project but didn’t want to invest in a tig welder when I stated off so I stuck with a Repli-tub, it was only a 2.5 hour road trip to pick up.
    Chuck Wright from Pro Car tried to talk me into stretching mine and making it 2 wheel drive with a LS motor, glad I didn’t go that route now.

We’ll maybe I’m glad
    WIth a stretch Jeepney this could have been you - pulling in the cash hand over fist at 25c per passenger, such lost opportunities....

jeepney-driver.jpg