Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A LITTLE HISTORY OF THE JEEPS IN THE PHILIPPINES (summarised from a website I can no

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    WOW FW you need to write a book and get it published !!!
    That’s a awesome history lesson, you and Larrbeard need to hook up.
    As far as drivers and driving habits it sounds like Puerto Rico, we try and go every year with the in-laws and we fly into San Juan and drive to the west side of the island to Rincon and stay. The first year we went her folks were already there so I said let’s just rent a car and I’ll drive
    Bad idea and it was the last year for that non sense, those people make a 5 lane freeway out of a 3 lane freeway. Every car down there has dents and dings on every side, soooo we now get a taxi and take a couple Muscle Relaxers for the 2.5 hour road trip
    That sounds very familiar. Combined with the cheap cost of hiring a taxi or car with driver this is why it took me over 15 years to buy a car in SE Asia. Eventually my wife found a car I liked and the prospect of a classic/vintage project got to me.

A lot of the expats here have also lived in Puerto Rico and some talk about going back frequently, they say it is similar in more ways than traffic.
    Last edited by FilipinoWillys; 12-13-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Just to finish up this thread and give a better idea of the 'jeep' situation in The Philippines, here are a couple of photos from the other day. Scenes like this are fairly common still.
    20211213_164927.jpg
    20211213_165014.jpg
    20211209_130236.jpg

Thanks for the lessons.

Very interesting thread FW!

I see the PI got hit with a bad storm. I hope you and your family are all safe.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Wow just looked that up! A bad typhoon, a lot of people missing and worse. Hope we here from FW soon.

God speed to FW and all of those who are affected in the Philippines.

Hey, thanks guys. We're OK. The storm hit the South, we're in the Northern parts.

Not sure what is going on with the death toll, the heavily left leaning paper is reporting large casualties, the Government run and moderate paper aren't really reporting as high a toll. Either way it is a disaster to those struck, but then also nothing too unusual for here.

Good to hear you are OK FW!

Thankyou.
    OK now but it was pretty harrowing being "stuck" in a pub for three days due to heavy rains - pretty harrowing hangover that is