Thread: Greetings everyone. First jeep ever!

Smile Greetings everyone. First jeep ever!

I recently bought a 1965 M-38A1 that I plan on using for camping and such. It’s in good condition though it needs parts which I’m acquiring at KaiserWillys. I recently received their catalog and remembered why the Sears and Monkey Wards Christmas Catalogs were ogled and drooled over before shopping. It’s been a long time in the making for obtaining a jeep.

Welcome SDTJ! The KW catalog is required in every bathroom! I remember those catalogs well. Very dog eared by the time Christmas arrived.

Welcome Sourdough TJ. I have a soft spot in my heart for M38A1s, so feel free to ask any questions you have. The Sears and Monkey Wards catalog plus the JC Whitney catalog were great wish books!

Thanks, for now it’s let the sleuthing begin here and in the manuals to rid myself of cobwebs. The M-38A1 is growing on me being a Vietnam-era Army veteran. To me the era of 1965-1980 is the best in beauty and being able to repair. My stepfather introduced me to auto mechanics but I wished I had paid closer attention and plied him with more questions and the manuals. We had a 1966 Rambler 770 Classic station wagon when he started introducing auto mechanics to me. He was an aircraft mechanic in the USAF.
    Today’s cars to me: Eh! I’ll pass.

Thank you for your service Sourdough. Modern cars leave a lot to be desired for ease of maintenance. I just came in from replacing an axle on my oldest daughter's Honda. It wasn't a horrible job, but I'd much rather work on one of our Heeps.

First as gm said, thank you very much for your service!

Love the sleuthing part. I think you will be surprised at how much you can do to a vintage Jeep. I cant think of any parts you cant find somewhere.

You cant be around an aircraft mechanic without those skills wearing off.

A hidden gem that has a lot of NOS M38A1 parts is; 1/4ton and Military.com
    Kaiser Willys also carries a lot of good parts.
    Another military forum that is pretty useful;
    G503.com

Thank you, I’ll bookmark them.

Welcome, and thank you sir, for your service.
    Love the M38a1s, that will make a great rig for doing some backwoods camping. Looking forward to seeing more of this project!

M38A1 - Welcome

One of the longest running KWAS Forum sagas was following the resurrection of an M38A1 by a Viet Nam Marine corps veteran.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...n-thing-is-out

If you check the site, there are over 5-million hits for the thread - it is a story about a person as well as a vehicle. Ira had just about every Jeep issue that could come up - but he persevered and he finished "Magoo" before COVID came.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or seek opinions. We'll do out best to answer questions- and our opinions are worth every penny you will pay for them!

Welcome - send us pictures - we don't read words too well but we understand pictures pretty good.