Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

Yes, both were re-cored. Guess I'm just not in tune with current "inflated" pricing. Also bought the dual reservoir master cylinder kit from KW. Haven't started that yet. Next will be the leaf springs, bushings, shocks, brake lines, shackles, and U-bolts.

Installed replacement plastic glove box last evening. It requires removing the factory "stop arm" on righthand side. IMG_1347.jpgIMG_1348.jpg

Steady as she goes! The glove box is back in action.

Ordered a complete suspension kit, new leaf springs, shackles, shocks, & bushings. Also bought new shock mounts and spring plates, new pre-bent brake line set, dual reservoir master cylinder, and complete exhaust system. Front is completely done and now working on the rear suspension. One small area on the rear frame rail that needs to be repaired however cannot find any repair sections for this particular year CJ5. IMG_1375.jpg

WOW
    You spent some money there Cat, nothing like doing it right the first time.
    Now the fun begins!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 08-15-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Yeah, my wife has a difficult time finding logic in spending thousands of dollars in repair parts for a vehicle that initially cost $300.00? Must be a "girl thing", seems like sound judgment to me.

On a roll now! A nice looking pile of parts. Let her watch a Mecum or a Barrett Jackson, show her what yours might bring finished. Well restored old vehicles get top dollar original, not original, hot rodded, period correct or just plain cool. I just watched a CJ5 go for $40,000 It had a Chevy six in it custom paint, rims and tires and brakes from somewhere else. Lots of parts from different years of different vehicles. It looked real good however. Beauty and the price you are willing to pay for it, are in the eye of the beholder.

It makes you wonder if the original cardboard glove box was shaped just a bit differently than the plastic "almost universal fit".

Manifold to tail pipe new exhaust system and new pre-bent brake lines. Prices for these parts are shocking to me. The exhaust kit didn't even include clamps or hangers (not to mention "made in Taiwan"). Brake line set is pre-bent for a single reservoir, therefore I'll have to modify it for the new dual reservoir. Also bought new flex lines + clips. Figured I'll install new lines and master, then deal with whatever leaks. I think this Jeep has 10" drums front and rear. Front axle is Dana 27 (I think) and rear is Dana 44 (offset diff).
    IMG_1383.jpg

Front axle: New springs, bushings, shackles, shocks, pivot eye bolts, and shackle brackets. Cleaned up the front portion of the frame and painted it with POR15. Eventually I'll do the entire frame however my goal for this year is to get the Jeep functionally sound. Cosmetics will come later.
    IMG_1382.jpg