Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

Welcome Cat.
    Like all the other guys stated you have a Great start and it definitely has the majority of all the pieces parts to get her up and running in pretty short order!!
    Keep us posted for sure.

Thanks for all of the "welcome wishes & encouragement"! Right now have another project occupying garage space, hopefully have it completed by early spring. Really anxious to dive into this old rig. Preliminary plans include, new carb, fuel pump, & plastic tank to avoid rust. Also planning to replace distributor with electronic ignition,+ new plugs and wires. Vacuum wipers will get converted to electric. Going to maintain stock suspension and existing drivetrain including the three speed on column. Radiator and heater core will get dropped off at local shop and replace all of the hoses, and of course an oil change. That should get the engine running. Beyond that will be the braking system which we already know has issues. Thought about converting to front disc however considering the engine was rated @ 75hp, and the Jeep only weighs around 2200lbs, the drum brake system is probably fine. Want to check out a prebent stainless brake line kit to avoid future rust issues if they're available. Then replace shoes, wheel cylinders & flexible lines. Considering my geographic location (central PA), the body seems remarkably good. Yes there is rust however nothing like it could be for a 57 year old vehicle that likely spent it's entire life outside. All five original wheels are there however no hubcaps. All of the tires are toast, so they will need to be replaced. Planning to put antique license on it.

Great project ideas Cat. I like the Pertronix electronic conversions and have it in mine. The ability to quickly change it back to points in case of an "EMP" is nice. There is nothing wrong with converting the drums to disc up front, especially on a "driver". Though the little Jeep is light. The small diameter early drums do leave a lot to be desired. It takes both feet to stop quickly. A few have converted them on this site and I don't think anyone regrets it. I have the original drum set up and it is adequate for a resto that runs in parades. I would not feel real comfortable in traffic as panic stops require some serious attention. With a 50 or so mph top speed, it works OK. There are stainless lines available from a few places and I did post a while ago somewhere about a couple sources. The historical plate is a right of passage and I took advantage of it on all my classics.

Also have a 74 F250 Highboy and 87 F350, both with antique plates. Here's a pic of the 87, can't find one handy of the 74. Antique plates are great, no annual state inspection, and no annual license fee. The Jeep will be a nice addition, anxious to get working.
    1987 F25097.jpg

Sounds like you have a plan, Cat!
    I have a Ford pickup of similar vintage. Mines a 1990 F250 that I bought new and have used on a lot of hunting trips. Here's a recent picture of it transporting my F4-134 engine to the rebuilder last month!

Truck sm.jpg

Cool Truck!
    Now I have a Jeep question. Did they ever offer a factory installed fire extinguisher? This Jeep has one, if it's original equipment I'll keep it, if not likely remove. Here's a couple pics. It's located above the passenger's feet.
    IMG_1065.jpgIMG_1066.jpgIMG_1067.jpg

I doubt it was an OEM item, but since you already have a bracket, getting a freshly charged one would not be a bad idea. Pistols, parachutes and fire extinguishers have a lot in common - you may never need one but when you do ... you really need one in a hurry!

Another question, curious what this is. Lever / knob to the left of heater controls? Almost looks like an old trailer brake controller. Is it a factory piece of an add-on?
    IMG_1070.jpg

One way to find out what is factory and what is not, is the owners manual. The glove box manual as us old timers called it. It will include the operation and location of the factory equipment as well as the optional equipment that may have been installed. That doesn't look factory. What is it hooked up to? Does it have a cable hooked to it heading down to the transmission area? I am going to take a wild a** guess and say I am thinking if it has a cable hooked to it, it was for a PTO or maybe even an overdrive. Someone here might recognize the setup.

No manual in the glove box in fact that's one of the things missing. I think mice destroyed it. It had / still has some huge mouse nests in it. Guessing most of the padding from the seats is gone. The tool box under passenger seat was level full of mouse nest. Also pretty sure there's another one in the headliner because it sags down in the middle right over driver seat. I'll have to take a good look under the dash with a flash light to investigate what is attached to that lever. It would be kinda cool if there was an overdrive trans!