Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

My bride makes sure I can hear what she has to say regardless, especially during the weather forecast on the news. She does like the whine of the Heep I, and Heep III. She's never heard Heep II yet, but she'll appreciate it too...Eventually.

Been toping off fluids on the Jeep before starting any major test driving. I'm looking for info on the Dana 44 rear axle regarding the grease fittings designed to apply lubrication to the rear wheel bearings. Some info suggests axles with these zerks also have a corresponding "vent" located directly above (on top of the axle tube). Mine does not. Now I realize it's possible they somehow were removed by previous owner (example; wrapping a tow chain around the axle) and the holes could be plugged shut. I can't feel anything with my hand, however that's not to say they're not plugged with dirt and painted over therefore it will require further investigation / removing the tires. My question is did they all have vents if they had zerks? #2. Are the vents still available anywhere?

Yes there are grease zerk points and a small and I mean small vent hole the grease Must be purged from to ensure a fully greased bearing. There is a post here somewhere. I'll look for it. The hole is drilled into the top of the axle tube right behind the backing plate flange. It is 1/16" in diameter. It is very, very hard to see. You pump in grease until you see a small stream of grease about the size of hair, come squirting out of the hole.

And of course the picture is sideways!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-23-2024 at 01:31 PM.

Appears some of the earlier designs used a little "pop-up" valve to indicate the cavity was filled with grease. Anyway, so it sounds like mine should have a small hole vs the pop-up design. Thanks so much for the info!

This thing must have 20 grease fittings (and I love that)! Filled both front closed knuckle joints and the steering box with John Deere corn head grease. Both rears got topped off with 90 / 140. Yes, I know that's thicker than what they call for however it wasn't refiling from empty, I was adding to existing who knows what. Also dumped the same thing in the T90 & transfer case. Anxious for a nice change in the weather to take it for another mile or two shakedown ride. Still need to get in there and adjust those brake shoes. Maybe tonight???

Catlewis, you should not put Hypoid Gear Axle lube in the transmission and transfer case. You do not want EP lubes in there at all. I would drain that all out and follow the guidance in the link below.

I am only aware of the hole that was drilled in the axle tube to relive the grease when purging. On Military vehicles, the hole had a pipe plug in it that had to be removed for purging. This was to allow the vehicle to submerge the axle tubes without getting water in. If there is anything else in those holes, someone put it there other than Dana or Willys.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2371-The-correct-lube-for-a-Jeep-synchronized-transmission

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...se-Lube-Levels

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2559-Diagram-of-all-zerks-that-need-grease-on-an-M38A1&highlight=zerk

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...highlight=zerk
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-23-2024 at 04:29 PM.

The gear oil I used is Walmart brand "Supertech" 85w / 140w which is a GL5 rated lubricant. Product details for this specifically state: Protects against corrosion of copper and bronze bushings.

Bit the bullet and ordered a new windshield frame and gaskets......... Ouch!

Do not use GL5 in your Transmission Transfer case Catlewis. GL5 is for the Axles. Your Transmission and Transfercase require GL4. GL5 has way to much EP additives in it, and is far too thick.GL4 85/140 is a lot thinner. You are looking for the lube to be the consistency of a 40w motor oil. The mistake of Using GL5 in a vintage synchronized transmission happens a lot and even in the old days. Not many realize the importance of using the correct GL rating in these transmissions. A lot of service stations simply pumped the same "gear lube" in there, they were using in the axle. It definitely created a lot of warranty issues. Click on the link I posted for you below for more information.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...d-transmission

I cant wait to see how that windshield fits. It seems to be the toughest reproduction part to get to fit. Both TJones and I had a tough time with them.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-24-2024 at 11:55 AM.

NOVAK website specifically says: Hypoid gear oil is sulphurized higher than transmission oil and can be mildly corrosive to the non-ferrous alloys used for synchros, bushings and thrust washers in these transmissions. An 80w-90, API-GL5 or MT-1 rated fluid is very good.