Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

What were the issues regarding fitment? Fame to hinge alignment or glass?

The service manual states GL-4 https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...rive-DJ-5-DJ-6

Mine i filled up with stuff from Napa. It is for use as GL-5 or GL-4. Says it is specialy optimized for non synchro gear boxes. I know most things i read say to only use GL-4. However i have seen some people run GL-5.
    Last edited by 56willys; 01-24-2024 at 02:43 PM.

Many people use GL5. It definitely doesn't make it right for all transmissions. There is more to this than chemical compatibility with the brass sychros. Some of today's GL5's are compatible with many metals, as many different metals are used today. Just because GL5 may state it is compatible with brass, does not indicate it will work correctly in your T84, T90 or T96. The biggest issue is the EP (extreme pressure) capability of GL5. Many mechanics and technicians today do not relate to the design of sychros in the 40's 50's 60's and 70's. The relative weight of GL5 is thicker than GL4. This also causes issues. Using a high EP (which is what GL5 is) causes a few issues with proper synchronizer to clutch collar interaction. I explained this further in the link I posted in the thread below, along with the damage it can cause. I can say that in the many transmissions I have torn down and rebuilt, and seen torn down and inspected for warranty, the ones that had the wrong lube were always easy to tell. The Jeep transmissions we are talking about were all designed for GL4 no mater what you read. Straight 40w motor oil also works well. GL5 is way to thick, especially when it gets cold. Any lube that meets a GL5 specification regardless of whether it is a combination GL4/GL5, will not be correct for the early Jeep trans. GL5 has too much EP and its too thick.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-24-2024 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlewis View Post
    What were the issues regarding fitment? Fame to hinge alignment or glass?
    All of it! On mine the "arms" had to be cut off and re-welded in the correct position, as the entire windshield was too far to the drivers side. The glass did not fit. It had to be ground down by a glazier.

As far as the windshield for a CJ5, there isn't too much issue with the windshield fitment, except maybe the cowl gasket may be a little too thick. Often times you may have to apply pressure with a ratchet strap to compress the seal enough to latch the windshield up. Definitely test fit the frame before installing the glass. The flat fenders are a bit fussier like Bmorgil said, often taking heat to bend the mount arms back into shape, or in his case cut off and repositioned.

Great info on the lubrication, horrible prognosis on the windshield however poor quality replacement parts seems to be par for the course on these old Jeeps. Last evening I didn't do much however did get the "4 Wheel Drive" stencil out and sprayed the tailgate.IMG_1895.jpg

Another potential project Jeep? or is it an express ticket to divorce court! Can anyone identify what this is? Military Jeep?PXL_20240125_163859043.MP.jpg

Appears to be a CJ2a. Since it has protruding headlights/turn signals. Not recessed. Also no grab handles on rear quarters. And it is semi floating rear not full float like military would be. Top of windshield fram looks like it's squared off so not a 3a.

It will need alot of welding. However looks pretty decent. It looks like it wants to be saved!

Hey, make it to be the wife's jeep then everyone's happy!

Edit, Also military would have split windshield.
    Last edited by 56willys; 01-25-2024 at 05:49 PM.

56Willys looks to be right on the money. With the marker lights it appears to be a '47 or '48 2A. The earlier '46s had inset bullet marker lamp assemblies versus the bulb socket and lens. One more Jeep in the fleet never hurt anyone.... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    56Willys looks to be right on the money.
    Hey, this is a rare occasion for me. haha

Good eye, I missed the marker lights.