Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

You can take a look on Amazon CL and probably find what you need, I’m not sure what size you need but here are some 1/4” bolts with clips. I found a lot of stuff for my project on Amazon.

EFB7574A-94EC-4FAD-ADD1-BBB255AAFAD8.jpg

Radiator Rebuild

When I restored the '48, I replaced the radiator. My Dad had it repaired in the late 50's or early 60's and I remember watching the guy at the radiator shop pull off the tank and solder the leaking tubes shut. One of my few morning after regrets is that I didn't get it re-cored instead of replacing it. You'll figure out that original is better - even if it makes your eyes water when you see the bill.

My heater core did not leak, remarkably - but the truck still had good green coolant in it when we pulled it out of the barn and I have to believe that the coolant preserved the core.

And, I wonder - where was that CJ 3A M tag originally mounted? I've not seen one of those before....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dropped off radiator and heater core last evening for reconditioning / re-core. Like to keep as many original parts as possible because like you, in my experience "you can't beat original stuff". Both the radiator and heater core as well as the engine had nice green antifreeze when I removed hoses. The original design fastener clips are available thru Kaiser Willys Picture1.jpg. My goal is to simply have the Jeep functional for this fall / winter to be used as a local hunting ride. As for that tag, it was hanging from a piece of thin wire attached to a bolt on the firewall. Almost exactly behind the engine head.

I think tag was hanging from the rusty bolt just to the left of the rubber grommet hole thru firewall. See picture.
    IMG_1274.jpg

Ordered radiator fasteners, new upper & lower hoses, oversized replacement plastic glove box, and fresh air flexible hose. Hopefully they will be in next week when the radiator and heater core are finished.

Oh man the parts orders are ongoing! It wont be long now, it will be like new.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-10-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Just finished up another project so I pulled the Jeep into garage this weekend. Goal is to get it drivable between now and this fall. Cooling system, fuel system, brake system, and obviously tires are the major areas. Next year maybe tackle the body. Unfortunately that's not how things typically work out. As you peel back the layers, issues you didn't figure on pop up. Looking forward to working on a simple machine with no electronic crap. Last project was a powerstroke diesel that had an underhood fire / melt down. Here's before and after pics. IMG_1239 (002).jpg

Here's the before picture. crewcab1 (002).jpg

Jeep is in the garage! Let the repairs begin!
    IMG_1292.jpg

Wow the trucks was a mess! The Jeep will be a lot more fun. That truck was a serious meltdown.