Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1948 Jeep CJ2a Owners

New 1948 Jeep CJ2a Owners

My son has always been interested in classic jeeps, when he found one he liked I told him OK let's get it together, he jumped on it LOL.
    We are now in the beginning stage of restoring it, told him this will be a long processes as he wants to bring it back to as original as possible.
    We are located in Southern California south of Los Angeles in the Inland Empire. Are there any clubs or events in this area?
    Last edited by 2ofus; 01-31-2024 at 03:38 PM.

Awesome! What a great thing to do with your son. That will be a super fun project! Jeeps are amazing teachers. This site is a great place to get information/help. Post some pics of that new Jeep. Anxious to see updates!

A great father son project! I can attest to that. You will find it very informative to restore it back to original. And it certainly can be done. You may have to search hard for a few of the parts if you need them, but I have been able to find everything I needed. There are plenty of Jeep clubs in Southern California. Google will probably give you more than you want!

https://jeeps.club/index.php/categor...ia-jeep-clubs/

Welcome 2ofus!

It's great to see the younger generations willing to get in there and make the Jeep whole again.

Thanks 56willys

Quote Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
    Awesome! What a great thing to do with your son. That will be a super fun project! Jeeps are amazing teachers. This site is a great place to get information/help. Post some pics of that new Jeep. Anxious to see updates!
    We anticipate this restoration process will take a lot of time. Work begins.

Drilling out small bolts.jpg

Drilling out small bolts 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outside of a half dozen coats of paint, the 2A looks pretty darn good. The rear wheel wells aren't beat like most all of them are or rusted out.

Our overall plan is to remove the tub and have all body work done (previous owners drilled seems like a million holes) once that is done plan is to have entire tub sand blasted primed and eventually painted. While that is being done my son and I will have the task of removing the years of grease and grim from the frame and axles etc. and then put on a coating of POR15. Any and all advice is more than welcome and appreciated.

Bed, gas tank and tool box areas.jpg
    Last edited by 2ofus; 03-07-2024 at 01:32 PM.

You are on your way for sure. With the tub off, the clean up gets much easier. It is much easier to check it out thoroughly. I am amazed at the condition of the tub. It is in great shape.

My son used to use POR15 quite a bit. We found POR15 to be very hard and non permeable. The rust seems to accumulate underneath it however and it seems to start peeling early in those areas. I have always used the oil based Rust-Oleum. It is a soft paint that seems to work well at keeping the rust from restarting, and can take some abuse from road stones and the like. There are a few choices out there and everyone has their favorite.

I'll second Bmorgil's sentiment about the POR15. Oil based paint is best, or an epoxy primer rattle cans from Rustoleum do a good job too.

We plan to use Rust-0leum primer prior to putting the POR15 on the frame and axels.
    Last edited by 2ofus; 03-08-2024 at 01:21 PM.