Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

1st Time Jeep Owner

IMG_1038.jpgI'm new to this forum, however always wanted a Jeep, finally found one. Ended up buying a 1965 CJ5 with hardtop. Needs lots of work, currently does not run. Seems to be very complete and original. Doing a little research and appears to be somewhat "collectable". It's 4 cylinder stick trans. It will be a spare time / winter project.

It's Tuxedo Park. IMG_1027.jpg

Looks pretty good! I like the top. It looks like most of the parts are there, that is always what you look for in a project. As far as collectable, now a day's if it is old its gold!

Around here just about every Jeep is collectable to some extent - even if for donor parts.

The top is a plus - it probably kept a lot more water out of the transmission than an open tub would have collected.

The F-134 engine room isn't to the full anti-smog setup that the very late F-134's had hung on them, so it will be a little easier to work around.

Go look in the Tech Library on the Forum and we have some best practices we've discovered about trying to get a sleeping engine to wake back up. A little care can keep an engine that was in pretty good shape from becoming a major project.....

Keep us posted on how things go - and we always have free advice that will be worth all you pay for it!

I bought it from the second owner, he bought it in 1970. Last time it was on the road was 1985. It seems very complete with all of the Tuxedo Park options, bench seat, three on the tree, chrome bumper. Heck it even has the original briggs & stratton ignition key. He told me he quit driving it when one of the brake lines rusted off. Never took the time to fix it.
    IMG_1037.jpgIMG_1032.jpgIMG_1029.jpgIMG_1028.jpg

Dude:

You've got just about all of the pieces there - that's a lot more than most of us started out with!

But, I wonder - in the second picture - how fast was that bird going when he left those tail feathers on the microphone clip?

It's a guess at this point however assume it was a turkey feather the old guy found while hunting. He stuck it in there and after so many years baking in the sun it bleached out. IMG_1035.jpgIMG_1036.jpg

As you have already seen it doesn't take much to keep us entertained....

By the way - the old key for the truck (my '48) is a Briggs and Stratton key. I know it was not the original key from '48. I think that was a standard blank for the lock cylinder that Kaiser/Jeep/W-O used, not a reflection on the size of the engine..

Hey Cat, nice jeep. I'm sure you'll have a blast getting her up and running again.

I just woke my CJ5 up from slumber since 88. Fortunately for me it wasn't very difficult to get her started. The engine needed work, but at least I got it going. You might check out my thread in the restoration projects forum. Lots of good advice there for you on how and what to do to get it going again.

Welcome Catlewis!

Great find for your first Jeep. The Tuxedos we're the top of the mark in those days.