Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

Dana 44 with offset diff. Old metal fuel tank, and the Tux seats.
    IMG_1404.jpgIMG_1401.jpgIMG_1405.jpg

Its really not bad cat. We have all seen MUCH worse. The water laid in the low spots and took them out as usual. The parts of yours that weren't underwater, look pretty good. If you don't feel like DIY floorboard man, MD Juan is making some stuff.

https://mdjuan.com.ph/product/assy-f...ing-cj5-early/
    https://mdjuan.com.ph/product-catego...cement-panels/

If you find what your looking for, give Mike V a call at KW. He is a Juan distributor. I am sure he either has them or, can get them.

gmwillys usually makes his own.

Already ordered the plastic fuel tank, I shipped the carburetor to Carburetor USA for rebuild. Just placed another order with KW for the front floor brace parts. I'll make the floor pans myself. I hope they have a diagram showing proper placement because some areas of my floor the braces are completely gone.

The hat channels are pretty much self explanatory. I will put in a picture of the bottom of an M38A1 which is the same as the CJ5s, except there is a fuel tank well that intersects with the hat channel, so it does not go all the way to the edge of the floor.. The panels offered by KW that are USA made are of good quality. You pay a bit more, but they are worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 08-24-2022 at 01:13 PM.

To ensure I did have all of the hat channels lined up correctly, I utilized a spare frame to act as a jig to line up the mount holes through the hat channel. Tack them in and flipped it back over to finish welding. I did get a little too aggressive on the passenger side floor board when welding it in. I put a little too much heat in it, and it pulled up in the corner of the tool box. A little gentle persuasion, and it fell back in line. For the most part, a lot of the steel used was from donors that had other major issues that required much more work than they were worth, (although nothing is too far gone, it just depends on how much it would cost to bring it back around). The pieces from KW were great in my opinion. They fit nice, was the right grade and gauge, and were formed correctly. The KW pieces used were the passenger side lower rocker, fuel tank well, and passenger floor panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 08-24-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Excellent info and nice work GM! The very last photo shows replacing lower rocker, I need those also. Is that the part number written on the side? (M-38A1).

Anyone know if these army surplus hubcaps will fit my stock wheels? My Jeep is a 1965 CJ5A.
    Jeep Hubcaps..jpg

Try to send us a link to them - the screen shot doesn't show very much.

The lower rocker repair panels are the same for the CJ5 as was used on the M38A1. The link to the one I used are listed below;

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...-71-cj-5-m38a1

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...j-5-m38a1-7586

Larrbeard; I asked the seller if they fit 65 CJ5 and he said "they should". I'm not spending $250.00 for a maybe and then deal with the hassle of returning. The advertisement says they are "New Army Surplus"? I didn't know army jeeps ever had hubcaps.
    GMWILLYS; Thanks for the sheet metal info. I purchased new sheet metal for both sides thru Quadratec. Excellent company! Placed order, immediately received shipping info and the parts arrived in three days.
    Also ordered a set of tires. Trying to maintain stock appearance so I bought a set of DEESTONE tires. Last, new plastic (PVC) fuel tank coming from Gas Tank Depot.