Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

Those two little girls are definitely going to have a negative impact on what their parents inherit!

Grandkids (Nieces and Nephews) in the Jeep

Then you get most of them in the Jeep!

That's what Old Jeeps are for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Installed new rad, new hoses, thermostat and flushed the block with citric acid. After that was completed, filled with antifreeze and took for the first test drive since I bought it. Likely the first time it has been driven since 1985! I came away from this "event" with the mind slogan "wow, vehicles have made some major improvements since 1965"! It was like sitting inside a tin shed during a hail storm!

Hahahaha! They have come a very long way since 1965! Quiet is not what they were known for.

It was also immediately obvious the brakes need to be adjusted. So that will be the next thing. Jack each tire off the floor and turn the adjuster until shoes barely touch drum. Also appears there's a small brake fluid leak at one of the banjo bolts on the new dual reservoir master cylinder. The engine noise / sound is very reminiscent of a 1950's Ford Ferguson TO-30 tractor.

No radio needed with the whine of the 134.

"No radio needed with the whine of the 134",,,,,, You're correct! With 5.38 gears, 30 mph it sounds like a weedeater!

"It was like sitting inside a tin shed during a hail storm!"

Yeah - I cheated when I put the '48 truck back together. I had the guy who did the upholstery put in carpets. The original was a jute backer with rubber mat - no sound or heat insulation at all.

The first time I took it back out - I thought the engine had died at the first stop light.

It still isn't "quiet" - but you can hear your wife talk to you when you are on the road. (No Comments!!!)

The big dirt grabber tires do whine a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    It still isn't "quiet" - but you can hear your wife talk to you when you are on the road. (No Comments!!!)
    OK I am trying to leave it alone but..... wait, what? Did you mean you can hear your wife telling you what? Something about U.S. 24 and the Anthony Wayne Bridge directions perhaps? Maybe that truck got a little too quite Larry.....

Yep, a Willys will make you wonder... All it is is steel and some wood, how can it make this many different noises!?

Now ride in mine with busted U bolts. And a giant exhaust leek. Because the former owner put 2 inch pipe over the 1.5" at the manifold. without any clamp or sealer of any kind. It makes lots of weird NOISES!!!

Larry, you got the Cadillac model!!!