Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

Looking good Catlewis. It's coming along nicely.

Both of the front fenders are badly rusted + dents. I originally intended to weld-in repairs and continue the body work, because the price of aftermarket replacements are ridiculous. Recently I noticed another style advertised to "fit", however not identical to original as they include a side marker light. Anyone have experience with these, or would you suggest repairing the originals?

You are doing so good, why stop now! The original stuff is better, and always correct. If you can do it and there is a significant amount of the fender left, I think you are doing a great job. gmwillys will tell you he is going to fix it every time.

It is really a work vs reward thing. In my case there was very little left. What ever I could repair however I did keep original.

On the '48 truck the steps between the cab and rear fenders were very badly rusted with the channels almost gone and the nuts rusted away. We bought "replacement just like original" steps and after we looked at them for about 5 minutes we decided to rebuild the originals. The "replacement just like original" steps looked like upside down bread pans - -- no thanks.

Stay with original if you can.

I'm running out of time as I want to use this vehicle during hunting season this year. Squeezed for time, I'll likely buy the aftermarket fenders and put the two originals (rusted & dented as they are) in the upstairs of my garage. They are repairable but will require considerable investment in "time". Agree with the statements about "original parts". Been fooling around with stuff like this for more than 40 years and can't recall even one time when a replacement part was viewed as superior to original....

Setting Priorities

" I want to use this vehicle during hunting season this year. "

Yeah, a man has to prioritize his tasks. It will be November before you know it. As they said: "Winter's coming."
    Attached Images Attached Images

The aftermarket fenders are for a newer CJ5 with the marker light but will fit your application no problem. As some have said, I'm a stickler for fixing the originals. I do understand that you are under a time crunch, so if you are happy with the reproductions, then go with it. When I did the fenders on my 2A, I probably spent a whole weekend just fixing holes, and welding in new supports. Then another weekend working the fenders smooth and painting. I haven't used the reproduction fenders, so I'm not sure to how well they fit, but I'm sure you'll be happy with them overall.

I'm an avid "public land / fair chase deer hunter" and travel to numerous states each year. The ultimate goal for the Jeep will be to utilize it in the Northwoods of Maine. Plan on towing it behind F350 dually that has a slide-in camper. Have not decided if flat towing or trailering. No experience flat towing however the Jeep did come with a tow bar. Also, wanted to mention, it's ironic the last few bucks I've had mounted, the taxidermist lives in / near Ft Wayne!

Flat towing a Jeep is a common thing. Freewheeling Hub Locks up front and pulling the rear driveshaft, I wouldn't hesitate to flat tow it for thousands of miles. A trailer is a very convenient thing to have however.

So rear drive shaft "removal" is a requirement + the front hubs must be unlocked? The only attractive aspect of flat towing is eliminating the added weight of also towing a trailer. Obviously flat tow also eliminates trailer brakes.