Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

Sprayed everything with black primer. Next will be a series of color layers (varying shades of red) followed by wet sanding thru some of those layers to mimic a weathered appearance. Last I'll spray the entire thing with satin clear or maybe just use a rub on lindseed finish???
    IMG_1753.jpgIMG_1754.jpgIMG_1755.jpg

Looking like brand new!

I've been experimenting with protective coats on our 2A, since it is bare metal. I've tried several items on the market recommended by the rat rod crowd, like Shark Hyde, but I believe I get better bang for the buck with the boiled linseed oil. The clears tend to turn yellow and you'll get rust staining start under the clear after a year or so, so then I end up stripping it all back down and starting over. With a paint base like what you are doing, the clear would stay as it should for years to come, since it is a paint sealer, and not a metal sealer.

Going "ALL OUT" on this one, no expense spared! Even bought a brand new set of never before used foam brushes to apply the color coats!

Sprayed the tub, & front fenders with "colonial red" while the hood, cowl, and grille still have the original paint & patina. Now, the challenge will be to make the colonial red look like hood, cowl, and grille.

IMG_1761.jpgIMG_1760.jpgIMG_1759.jpgIMG_1758.jpg

Blast it with some extreme UV, that will fade it. That thing sure turned out well Cat!

The photos make the paint look better than it is. I painted it with a sophisticated ACRSP system which stands for, Aerosol Cans of Rustoleum Spray Paint. Two 12oz cans grand total of around $12.00 from walmart.

Extreme UV? I'll have to google that, as I have no experience using it or even hearing about it previously.

I don't think its something you can get done Cat. If you could, it would be like putting it in the sun for 10 years in the desert, compressed to an hour.

You could try to use a dulling sand. You could try some varying grades of fine sandpaper or rubbing compound to "dull" it down. gmwillys is the "Patina" expert. He might have a trick.

It does look really good. I don't have a real good set of advice on the fading of the new paint to match the old. I've seen some do it on You Tube, and they made their tailgate match fairly well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2LiQe3Wbvc

Decided to change direction. Going to attempt painting the remaining portion of the Jeep to match the tub. Based on the quality of that finished product, I'll make a decision for moving forward. If I get lucky again and it turns out decent, might consider scuffing it and buying an automotive quality satin clear to spray over the entire body. If it turns out like crap, then at least I'll have a uniform "color layering" platform to start out with for a patina paint scheme. The entire tub has gray epoxy base coat covered by one coat of black followed by the colonial red. I'll do the same layering on the hood & cowl so if we go the "patina" route, sanding thru layers will produce a consistent result anywhere on the body.