Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

You'll have a an easier time of getting everything matched up.

Here's some photos of a rookie making a rust repair last evening. I'm not a body man however learned a lot during this project. These little pin holes show up when wire brushing old paint off, the metal is so thin only thing you can do is cut it out and weld in a new piece. Nearly identical on both sides near where the little catches for the hood latches bolt on. Must've done this type of repair 20 or more times on this project, it was a rust bucket!IMG_1762.jpgIMG_1764.jpgIMG_1765.jpgIMG_1766.jpgIMG_1767.jpg

Rookie Repairs

Well. you may consider it rookie, but you seem to have gotten a really good handle on fixing those places.

There were a lot of places on the '48 that were donated from 78 Chevys - like all of the backing plates for the bed spot welds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like an epoxy "weld-thru" primer.

Looking good Catlewis. The Epoxy primer isn't as heat affected as other primers. A drill point just touching the steel underneath is enough to secure a good surface to weld to. I use weld through primers and have had lots of success. But in a pinch, I'll use a rattle can of epoxy primer to apply a coat in between the pieces.

Thanks to the nearly 100 percent humidity over the weekend, it seems I pulled off another successful rattle can paint job on the hood. Certainly nothing compared to a real automotive type paint quality, but certainly works for how I intend using this Jeep. Still need to paint the cowl and grille. Going to temporarily install the roof & doors tonight. Planning to move the Jeep outside as I need the garage space for some emergency truck repairs. IMG_1769.jpgIMG_1771.jpg

Looks pretty good Cat! Your method sure does make it a lot more convenient.

Looking great!

Hauled the old hardtop inside garage last evening an removed the headliner + dome light to eradicate large mouse colony. Tried to save the headliner material however it was unsalvageable, saturated with mouse urine / stink! Pulled it all out including the nests and mixed up a spray bottle of 50/50 clorox bleach + water and sprayed the entire surface several times. Then scrubbed with soap and water. Smell seems to be gone, time to start rust repairs on the top when I get back on this project in a couple weeks. IMG_1773.jpgIMG_1774.jpg

Going to set the roof back on temporarily this afternoon and move the Jeep to another building while doing some work on my truck. Still need to finish the rattle can paint job on cowl and grill.
    IMG_1777.jpg