Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

I tend to agree with bmorgil that it looks like the PTO control. I'm not familiar at all with the Tuxedo Park rigs, but my CJ has the PTO control on the center floor just behind the transmission gear shift and just in front of the seats. I could see them moving a control lever up on the dash for more convenience, but who knows?

I think this is an original key. It says Briggs & Stratton on the other side.
    IMG_1069.jpg

Mine just says B&S...

You might find there isn’t any insulation on the wires with the mice in it that bad. I don’t know what’s in the insulation they like so much but mice are pretty effective at stripping wire.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 01-14-2022 at 09:21 PM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

There is seldom a glove box manual. You will usually have to purchase a reprint. KW has them.

Checking the points and decided to install new points and condenser. It appears the only way to remove the points is to remove the entire plate inside distributor. IMG_1221.jpg

That’s a nice looking distributor. Points are a bit worn. Mine was rusty and packed full of sand. I couldn’t believe it was still making spark.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I've drained the oil and replaced the filter. Disconnected the fuel line, hooked up a fresh battery and started checking "what works and what doesn't". Amazing almost everything works, headlights (high and low beam), all of the parking lights, dash lights, even the fuel gauge. Remember this thing has been sitting since 1985! The engine turns over easy however even with a couple shots of carb cleaner directly into the carb, not even an attempt to start. Also noticed while turning engine over the vacuum wipers both work. Anyway, came to the conclusion "no spark" which lead to checking the points. Points appear very worn so I figured to simply replace both the points and condenser. Never worked on one of these engines, does it require removing the points plate to replace points?

No, just remove the screws and remove the points and condenser.

I took out the screw near distributor center shaft as well as the on that's used for adjusting point gap however Screw "A" attaches the wires cannot be accessed without removing the plate. It appears screws marked "B" need to be removed to take the points plate out and allow access to remove screw "A". dist.jpg