Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

The Jeep will be a walk in the park compared tot the power stroke. Great job in getting the diesel back in shape.

Jeep has a growing list of issues. Last evening I noticed both rear leaf springs have multiple broken leafs. Also one front spring has two broken leafs. Kaiser Willys has a complete kit with all four springs, shocks, U-bolts, etc. I'll probably get that to simplify things.

I used the full set of springs from KW. They worked out perfectly.

I'm a little concerned about "originality". I think Tuxedo Park models had a different spring pac as compared to typical jeep. I think they had fewer spring leafs for smoother ride??? Guess I could remove leafs from new springs to match original.

From what I've seen, there was two leaf springs offered in the Tux Park CJ5s. They had six leaf packs, but were dual rate, (softer) springs for a better ride. I didn't come up with an exact match, but the closest without going overboard is in the link below. They are Omix-Ada, so it isn't my first choice of springs. https://www.vintagejeepparts.com/pro...-Jeep-CJ5.html I would check around and see if you could have a set built to spec by a local shop to keep the correct ride.

The authority on leaf springs. https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

GMWILLYS is correct, this jeep has front and rear six leaf packs. Not sure what is provided in the KW complete kit however still leaning that direction. Last evening I replaced the alternator + new belt and she now charges! Had a hard time locating an original style alternator. Finally found a NOS "Blue Chip" and it was a little spendy ($125.00). Still waiting on the radiator shop to call about the heater core and radiator. Also still waiting on the first order of parts from KW, supposed to be here tomorrow.

eatondetroitspring.com doesn't list "Jeep" in my model year? Checked a bunch of other years and only found Jeep Commando?

If you give them a call they usually can provide more information for you. I think they can make anything you want. They used to duplicate any spring. I have had custom springs set up by them for other vehicles.

Bmorgil, thanks for the tip on spring manufacturer!
    Well, received the first shipment from Kaiser Willys last evening. One of the parts I ordered was the oversized replacement plastic glove box. Attempted a "test" fit last evening and the thing broke in half! The glue joint failed. It's totally over priced @ $86.00 for two pieces of plastic! Buyer beware! IMG_1313.jpgIMG_1313.jpg