Thread: Nice M170 on a January Day

Threaded View

Nice M170 on a January Day

I attended a Veterans Staff Day for one of our Indiana Senators at the Fort Wayne Veterans Memorial and I happened upon a good example of an M170 Front Line Ambulance variant of the M38A1. From where it was parked, the type of license plate and the fact that the key was in the ignition, I suspect that it belonged to someone in attendance at the event, but I had already left the building and I did not go back to do any investigation.

It has probably been restored – you can note that the hood paint job does not quite match the body – but it is in very good condition. It has a new canvas top and a good set of door frames. It is a nice example of an uncommon variant of the M38A1.

Notes about photos:

Driver side interior: From this angle you can see the bracket to support the handles of a stretcher (litter) – probably the most obvious visual clue that this is an M170. This also gives an excellent view of the quick-disconnect connector on the turn signal switch housing and the manual wiper handles for driver and passenger side. The spare tire is located at the passenger arm rest position.

Passenger side dash: A good overview of the dash details. In particular, note the three switch cluster directly behind the steering wheel. The key is in the ignition and the odometer only shows 00280 miles – probably a replacement speedometer.

Canvas Cover – rear: The big Red Cross clearly denotes it as an ambulance, but I had not previously noted the holes for the handles of the litters. The holes have a leather patch sewn around them for reinforcement. Also note the clear flexible plastic windows. Details like this are why good canvas costs as much as it does.

Tailgate Detail: The tailgate also has clearance holes for a second litter. The tailgate has been “kissed” at some time, but it has good paint over the kissed area – the reason I suspect this is a good restoration. Later I learned that normally the tailgate would have the lower half of the red cross painted on it to match the canvas upper half....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 01-21-2022 at 08:06 PM.