Thread: More CJ2a frame questions

Hybrid View

So, I have a 48 cj2a. the frame is ugly but has been re-enforced and I have been debating to do a frame change, that is why I am looking around. Did not really want to get into a project when I bought it, just wanted something to tool around in. jeep is in deccent shape with the exception of the frame (looks) I have since discovered that the leaf springs are shot, but that is a different story. I would not really be after a showroom restore. I have some skills, but do not really have access to a welder and if I did, my welding skills would not be something to be proud of.

While I would like to find a cj2A Frame that I can cleanup and paint, and just transfer everyghing to it, Should be scared or hesitant to use a 3A frame?

I know they used 2A frames to build early 3A's, but does the inverse hold true for mounting motor, transmisison, body...... of a cj2a onto a 3a frame.

You can use either frame. The front engine plate needs to match the frame. If you have a 2A engine plate you need to fabricate an adapter to make it work in a 3A frame. Willys did provide an adapter from the factory, as some of the early 3A's used left over 2A and Truck engines. Also, in the field the Willys factory adapter could be used to put a 2A motor in a 3A frame. Most mechanics just make sure they have the right front plate on the engine. So to put a 2A motor in a 3A frame you either change the front motor plate to a 3A plate or, use an adapter. There are a few other minor things but for the most part, its the engine mounting.