Thread: More CJ2a frame questions

More CJ2a frame questions

Hello all,
    as I continue my quest for frames, I have come across some differences that I am wondering if someone can explain.

a) some frames seem to be boxed in in the area of the rear shackle mounting points and others are not.
    b) some frames seem to have a strip of metal running along the top side and others do not.

Below are a couple pictures showing what I mean Just trying to understand the history a little better.

00707_Bur8v7srxyz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg
    InkedUntitled2 edited_LI.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeep_n_john; 02-12-2022 at 11:54 PM. Reason: add pics 2

JNJ gmwillys or bmorgil will be the ones to answer your questions on the differences in frames and I am sure they will chime in sometime today, I am thinking in picture #2 the metal strip your referring to was an add on from someone else.
    The real question for me would be in the last picture of why in the world would someone post it on Facebook Market Place originally (only 18 weeks ago) for $3,500.00 and drop it to $450.00 when you snapped the picture?
    Last edited by TJones; 02-13-2022 at 08:36 AM.

jnj, here is a video that might help. It shows the CJ2A frame compared to the earlier MB frame. The "box in" should be there on all of them. The strip of metal does appear to be an add on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bL464GHLSc

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    JNJ gmwillys or bmorgil will be the ones to answer your questions on the differences in frames and I am sure they will chime in sometime today, I am thinking in picture #2 the metal strip your referring to was an add on from someone else.
    The real question for me would be in the last picture of why in the world would someone post it on Facebook Market Place originally (only 18 weeks ago) for $3,500.00 and drop it to $450.00 when you snapped the picture?
    This guy was slowly breaking things down to sell them. I am guessing the $3500 price was the whole jeep which did not sell. Then there is the frame with engine and transmission for $450. Later he broke it down to the frame only for $100. I saw a sold listing for the frame for $80. THen later, I saw an add that said NOT SOLD. I have tried contacting this person and he does not reply back, so I gave up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    jnj, here is a video that might help. It shows the CJ2A frame compared to the earlier MB frame. The "box in" should be there on all of them. The strip of metal does appear to be an add on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bL464GHLSc
    Thanks for the video, That sheds some light. at the very end of the video, he actually showed a cj3a frame and that was not boxed in. I have come across 2 frames that were not boxed in, and feedback I got on the forum were that they were 2a frames. Now I am becoming a firm beleiver that these 2 frames I came across are actually 3a frames.

My take away here is:
    CJ2A frames had the metal reinforcement strip along the top.
    CJ2A frames were boxed in all the way from the first rear shackle to the bumper.
    CJ2A Engine mounts are equa distant whereas cJ3a engine mounts are offset with the driver side being forward approx 3-4 inches, not sure exactly
    CJ2A frame has front gussets for bumper mounting and 3A frames do not.

I think you have hit the most important points. There are differences in the early vs the late 2A frames. When the laminate frames were replaced by the heavier gauge frames. The boxing should be there on all the CJ2A frames, except maybe a few very late models. The 3A frames are boxed in various places. They are not boxed in where your arrow is pointing in your second picture. Some late 2A's may also not be boxed in there. The biggest distinction between the 3A and the 2A is the motor mount location. The 3A frame has the staggered engine mounts.

So, I have a 48 cj2a. the frame is ugly but has been re-enforced and I have been debating to do a frame change, that is why I am looking around. Did not really want to get into a project when I bought it, just wanted something to tool around in. jeep is in deccent shape with the exception of the frame (looks) I have since discovered that the leaf springs are shot, but that is a different story. I would not really be after a showroom restore. I have some skills, but do not really have access to a welder and if I did, my welding skills would not be something to be proud of.

While I would like to find a cj2A Frame that I can cleanup and paint, and just transfer everyghing to it, Should be scared or hesitant to use a 3A frame?

I know they used 2A frames to build early 3A's, but does the inverse hold true for mounting motor, transmisison, body...... of a cj2a onto a 3a frame.

You can use either frame. The front engine plate needs to match the frame. If you have a 2A engine plate you need to fabricate an adapter to make it work in a 3A frame. Willys did provide an adapter from the factory, as some of the early 3A's used left over 2A and Truck engines. Also, in the field the Willys factory adapter could be used to put a 2A motor in a 3A frame. Most mechanics just make sure they have the right front plate on the engine. So to put a 2A motor in a 3A frame you either change the front motor plate to a 3A plate or, use an adapter. There are a few other minor things but for the most part, its the engine mounting.