Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Brake Job

VT when you put it all back together make sure the drain holes all match up on the gaskets, the shims and the dust cover as well on the bottom.

The one item you don't ask about is the one that will bite you in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    VT,

As far as refinishing brake parts, a good rule of thumb is that if it is in contact with the outside environment, then paint as you please.
    I whole heartedly agree with LarrBeard on the reuse of the original hardware, that stuff is a lot tougher than anything you can buy on the market today. It's all made with real steel.
    Alright, I will mention that to my friend's uncle for the '48 Willy's he's looking at. I'm coming over to their garage this weekend for the re-painting and installation of the new wheels and tires from 4Wheelonline onto my friend's truck. I'll see if his uncle already has the Jeep.

Well, I figured out where my mis-understanding was. Because they were stuck together, I thought the outer oil seal and the outer grease protector were 1 item. (Left and Center in below picture respectively)
    After getting the new outer oil seal in the mail, I was able to get a better idea how it all goes back together. At closer look at the diagram, the Grease protector looks to be in the picture, but is listed as #35 with the oil seal, and then is not listed to be purchased down below.

So, the good news is I figured it out, and now can get everything back correctly. Bad news is, since I didn't know it was 2 parts, I need to order an additional gasket. No big deal, I'll use the gasket out of the other oil seal I got for the driver side since it will be a week or so until I can get that side started.

With the Vermont snow mostly gone, I can't wait to get the Wagon back on the road, Hopefully this summer I will be able to get the underside cleaned and coated enough that I am comfortable driving it next winter (the salt on the roads here literally eats unprotected cars).

-VTWilly
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is not an uncommon mistake. Things get so stuck together it's hard to figure out just what is supposed to come apart and what isn't.

The other side of the mistake is to spend a day trying to pry something apart that isn't supposed to come apart.....

Been there, done that, scars show it.

Your rollin' now VT!

A hard earned education will stick with you for a long while. Good job!