Thread: Rear Brake Job

Threaded View

Rear Brake Job

Well yesterday we got a bunch of snow here in Vermont, so it was a great day to work on the Wagon in the heated garage. It's been sitting in there since the fall as I didn't intend to drive it this winter until I was able to undercoat/protect the under side from the damage that road salt will do.

After finally replacing the starter (I have been hunting and fighting intermittent starting issues for a few months) I can now finally get around to replacing both the rear wheel brake cylinders. But I figured, while I got the whole thing apart, I might as well clean it all up too.
    Hope you all enjoy the pictures, I'm about half way done, I plan to prime and paint most of the parts that I cleaned up. The difference between the clean and dirty backing plate bolts I think says it all. Pretty much everything metal has been getting it's turn on the wire wheel.

I do have some questions, are there any things that I shouldn't paint? I know to leave the brake shoes alone (other than cleaning out those spider web egg sack things) but not so sure what else, especially when it comes to the axle parts.
    I cleaned up the outside of, what I think is called, the outer oil seal, but as seen in the pictures there is a bearing or washer inside. Do I dare mess with this? I am trying to clean up and protect anything that I come across, piece by piece as I get the Jeep up to standard. Also there are what are maybe shims? there is one that is definitely a 1/8 inch metal ring, but the others don't seem to be, are they gaskets? With the metal rim and oil seal on opposite sides of the backing plate? Seems to be a gasket on the back of the oil seal too, I would imagine I should replace these. Would it be 3 per side?

Thanks again for putting up with all my questions, it is you guys on here that are keeping me on track.

-VTWilly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VTWilly; 02-27-2022 at 12:22 AM.