Thread: CJ3B Lacks Motive Power

CJ3B Lacks Motive Power

My 1963 CJ3B used primarily for snow plowing. Last winter I noticed that while engine runs fine it doesn't start moving quickly when disengaging clutch, & moves sluggishly. I assumed clutch problem, but in summer when I took it to my repair shop they said didn't see anything wrong with clutch. This winter again plowing snow and same issue observed. Doesn't like going up even a short incline, doesn't start moving immediately when I let up clutch. Soon I'll be taking it back to the shop for more analysis of the issue & hoped-for repair. Does this sound like need new clutch or clutch parts? or something else in powertrain? transmission? I think it can use transmission work, anyway -- pops out of 2nd gear. Or is this a combination of several issues?

It does sound like a clutch. Have the shop test it with a good load.

Place the Jeep in 3rd gear and hold the brake. Release the clutch and see if the engine stalls. If the engine doesn't die or bog down, then you are a fair piece out of adjustment. You can see the clutch and flywheel if you pull the transmission cover on the floor board around the shifter. Then there is an inspection cover at the top of the bell housing that you can check out the clutch. Does the clutch only act weak in the cold months, or is it just used for plowing?

Not sure my reply got logged in; am new to this blog. But wanted to be sure to say thanks to 2 posts.

Your welcome Don! Hope you got it figured out.