Thread: Emergency Brake dilemma

Emergency Brake dilemma

Hello All! I have a 1953 Willys Station Wagon (4 cyl/4 wd) that I've been working on for the past couple of years. While rebuilding the rear brakes I found there was not any of the parts to support an emergency brake. I had already noted the lack of one on the rear of the transfer case. I don't know the history of my Willys other than it originally came from Montana (now resides in Maine). I would like to have an emergency brake, but suspect the easier (??) approach would be to find a used emergency brake drum and components (and drive shaft) for my Station Wagon. That is assuming all transfer cases were created equal and a brake backing plate could be mounted to mine. Any thoughts? The picture attached is of the rear left brake assembly (after I first removed the drum).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harvey, Welcome! You have the right idea. The e-brake was transfer case mounted. My preference would be to reinstall the factory assembly on the back of the transfer case. That being said, take some pictures of the back of the transfercase. Lets see what the prior owner did. The brake could be removed and the original driveshaft will still work. This is probably what happened. Many instead of fixing the e-brake simply removed them. 4 bolts, reattach the driveshaft without it and its gone. The drum can be had as well as all the parts to put it back on. Is the backing plate still on the transfer case? Do you have the dash control? You will need to shop around and replace what you don't have. Take some pictures of the dash control if it is still there. You need the cane on the dash, cables, backing plate and parts for the plate and a drum. As soon as we see some pictures we might be able to tell whats left. In the end I believe it is cheaper, easier and safer to restore the original e-brake rather than try to rig up an aftermarket or alternative brake.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/nos-eme...xoCyUgQAvD_BwE

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/vehicle...ergency-brakes

Emergency brake rig

"In the end I believe it is cheaper, easier and safer to restore the original e-brake rather than try to rig up an aftermarket or alternative brake."

I concur with BMorgil. Trying to jury rig a 2WD version of an emergency brake is a much bigger job that replacing the original. In addition to a different backing plate, there is a yoke and cable rig that would have to be set up.

Try to go original. Getting it stopped is important, but making sure it stays where you left it is pretty high on the list of priorities as well.

My Dad parked the '48 one day on a hill and just put it in gear to hold it. Unfortunately he put it in high, and that didn't hold things. It rolled back and hit the side of another vehicle. It had an "L" shaped hitch on it and the hitch punched the door on the other car like the iceberg on the Titanic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    "In the end I believe it is cheaper, easier and safer to restore the original e-brake rather than try to rig up an aftermarket or alternative brake."

I concur with BMorgil. Trying to jury rig a 2WD version of an emergency brake is a much bigger job that replacing the original. In addition to a different backing plate, there is a yoke and cable rig that would have to be set up.

Try to go original. Getting it stopped is important, but making sure it stays where you left it is pretty high on the list of priorities as well.

My Dad parked the '48 one day on a hill and just put it in gear to hold it. Unfortunately he put it in high, and that didn't hold things. It rolled back and hit the side of another vehicle. It had an "L" shaped hitch on it and the hitch punched the door on the other car like the iceberg on the Titanic.
    Thank you for pictures and parts at KW. I did find the equalizer in the "extra" parts bucket that came with the SW. It is a 4x4 and the release handle is the "T" type versus the cane. I checked for pictures of my TC, but have not spotted any. I'm temporarily hiding out in AZ until spring shows up in Maine - home base. My earlier searches for the rear axile E-Brake components was unsuccessful, not sure how I missed those parts at KW.

On a side note, my first car, a 1968 Impala 2 door got totaled while parked in ID while in college at U of I. It got clobbered by a MB parked at the top of the hill, left running in neutral with the not-so-reliable parking brake engaged.

Stopping a vehicle is so much more important than getting it rolling!

"Stopping a vehicle is so much more important than getting it rolling!"

One of our standard replies about brakes comes from a phone commercial; "If the brakes won't stop it, something will ... ". Get it running and get it to stop should be the first two priorities in a rebuild.

Welcome HaveyB!

We are glad to have you, and look forward to seeing your ride. Senior Chief LarrBeard and Bmorgil are great sources of information, and as you've already seen, not afraid to share.

You are correct, your wagon has the original T handle style of parking brake actuator. The little Jeeps and the 4X4 wagons used the parking brake located on the transfer case. This set up is a bit temperamental at times, and would often get deleted rather than being fixed, so it isn't unusual that you didn't have anything, ( our 46 just had the drum but no guts).