Thread: Think I bought a franken jeep

Think I bought a franken jeep

Hello folks, new to this jeep thing. I bought a cj2a about a month ago, it was a barn find but they forgot to put it in the barn. Dont know how to post a pic, here are some finds i have found. Tub serial # 167884, tailgate 167885, engine serial # 3J40413. Got a cj3b frame and engine with the deal, the engine is a F 134. Bubba hacked the front end of the cj2a frame and hacked off the rear part of the frame of the cj3b. Looks like I can marry the front part of the cj3b frame and the rear part of the cj2a frame and use the L134 engine. Engine was free on the L 134 but no compression. In process of dismantling engine and found cracked rings on one of the pistons. One piston was marked STD, and preliminary measurments seem to be 3.125 on the bore. Head and block seem to be not warped. valves seem to be in not too good of a shape, will know more when I remove them. Located in Goliad , Texas, anyone close by please give me a shout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are some more pics.

More pics of frank.

Welcome Wulfie!

Your 2A is a little rough around the edges, but I like it! Thank you for posting the pictures, it helps to see exactly what you are dealing with. Bubba hacks are probably going to be your biggest hurdle, but you have a plan put together already. We all look forward to watching your progress, and also to lend an opinion or two along the way.

It is a start Wulfie. I have definitely seen similar projects genesis into great things. Looking forward to your "Frankenjeep"!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-20-2022 at 08:54 AM.

Things will get better

Wulfie:

Welcome to the group. Bubba welded on the frame and it looks like Junior, his electrician buddy, did a 12-volt conversion of some sort. The good news is that it looiks like it has been a Texas Jeep - no salt eating away big pieces of the frame and underside.

In a perverse sense, having a Jeep in this shape is an easier starting place than one that someone has Frankened up but looks almost good enough to let things alone. We had one of those show up on the Forum in the middle of last year - it looked good until you got under the nice paint and then just about everything had an issue.

At least you're not going to mess up nice paint to get to things to work on. Keep us dialed in on what's going on. And don't be discouraged by how bad it looks - it will turn out as nice as you want it to be, look at my truck as an example.

Awsom

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Wulfie:

Welcome to the group. Bubba welded on the frame and it looks like Junior, his electrician buddy, did a 12-volt conversion of some sort. The good news is that it looiks like it has been a Texas Jeep - no salt eating away big pieces of the frame and underside.

In a perverse sense, having a Jeep in this shape is an easier starting place than one that someone has Frankened up but looks almost good enough to let things alone. We had one of those show up on the Forum in the middle of last year - it looked good until you got under the nice paint and then just about everything had an issue.

At least you're not going to mess up nice paint to get to things to work on. Keep us dialed in on what's going on. And don't be discouraged by how bad it looks - it will turn out as nice as you want it to be, look at my truck as an example.
    Nice ! really not looking to finish show quality but good enough to ride around in town ,and on the ranch.