Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wulfies nostalgia project

Rear Axle

Tnx Mr LarrBeard , did remove ring gear ,had locking tabs . Working on rear axle now cleaning up and getting into housing , rear axle may be surprising , looks like more weathering than the front end . Got one hub off but was challenging but didnt have to use heat ,which is good ,but havent done the other one yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a good puller Wulfie, you cant go after it better than that.

Learned a new trick while using it. After a few turns I would relieve the stress with ball peen hammer by tapping brake drum which would relieve stress , it turned easier after each tapping session.

Hammer taps are good for a lot of things. You feel better, and it helps to motivate things to move along.

Some peeps need tapping to move em along.

Got a lil more done ,but hit snag in rear ends . The first rear end I started on was from the cj2a frame , but did only partial tear down because , i decided to use the front end axle from the cj3b frame so thought that i should go with the cj3b rear axle. Well trick on me , one end of the cj3b axle was in bad shape , opening was to badly rusted to be used. So went to the first axle I started on. On busting the pumpkin found spider gears not in good shape , too lose in my opinion and lil pitted .So went to plan B ,decided to use ring gear and pinion outa cj3b rear end ,bearings were in good shape and spider gears were nice . Will replace bearings . Waiting on shims . Got parts in ,look in box . Brake shoes , lines , some brake cylinders and master cylinder , shim kit for front king pin bearings and other stuff . Second pic is rear axle ring and pinion swap about to take place . Third pic off with the old and on with the new , pic shows how I got em off , used puller from Horrible Freight it worked with a lil modification , shoulda had the next size puller I think , but with a lil stress reliving it worked. Shes trying to get up on her feet . After figuring out what it is gonna cost to rebuild body panels decided to go with after market body, called Pete Debella and he said none available until after first of next year and has long waiting list ,so called Walcks and had MD Wan cj2a body in stock so got it coming and be here next week . Last pic shoulda been third . The cj2a rear axle housing was in reality a MB rear end , found it painted in olive green color no black paint underneath .
    Last edited by Wulfie; 07-02-2022 at 11:07 PM.

The 1944 thru 1949 and early into 1950 MB/CJ, used the model 41 Salisbury axle. It was replaced by the newer model 44 Dana. A 1950 CJ3A will have a model 41 early and a model 44 in the later production. The ring and pinion in the 41 is different than in the 44. The pinion location is different in the 41 model.
    As long as the CJ3A axle is a 41 you are all set.

Moving along Wulfie!

How do you identify the 41 axle from the dana 44 ? Never mind found identification picture chart of different axles , the 41 is round in basic shape viewed from rear end the dana 44 is more squashed round shape , very different shape easy to determine by visual outside look .
    Last edited by Wulfie; 07-03-2022 at 12:30 PM.

Ring gear pattern

Need some guidance bmorgil . Trying to set up this rear end axle . Got some pics of the pattern ,looks like I might have to go in with pinion gear some more . What you think ? Need a link to patterns if you have or a place to find em. First pic is the drive side ,looks to be hitting on the heel , there abouts. Second pic cost side , looks to be hitting toe end . Any comments would be helpful.

Dr. Dana will be by shortly, but here is some helpful diagrams/explanations to setting up a ring and pinion. From your pictures, you are definitely in the ball park of being properly set. I would try one more shim to gain a touch more contact, to center the pattern on the ring gear tooth. Bmorgil is the master at the driveline, and we will see what he thinks on the matter.

https://www.yukongear.com/blogs/how-...ear-patterns_1

https://www.sierragear.com/different...-gear-pattern/
    Last edited by gmwillys; 07-12-2022 at 05:13 AM.