Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wulfies nostalgia project

Attention bmorgil ,working on rear end again moved pinion in .002 ,as of now got .020 back lash . How much should I move carrier bearings to get in the neigh hood of .010 ? Your guess as good or better than mine . Thanks

Oh man the heat is on! I am thinking move .015" from one side to the other. I would say less is better than more. A little less than fifteen might be OK. I wouldn't go over .015" on the first try anyway. You never know but generally every .010" will get you .005" to .008" in backlash change depending on the gear set. It is easier with a new gear set, as the backlash specification is .004" to .009", off the top of my head. In the case of a used gear set it is better to try to hit .009" right on the money or even .010", which is where I prefer to run a well used gear set.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-02-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Gonna try .012 , also when I finished it last time I torqued the pinion shaft nut to book 150 minum ft lbs , seemed to tight to me had to turn yolk with pipe wrench should it be that tight ? Maby just me im no super man . Also got 20 inch pounds on rotational torque right now.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 08-02-2022 at 09:26 PM.

Woe Wulfie! What do you mean when you torqued the pinion nut you had to turn it with a pipe wrench? That would be enough to ruin the pinion bearings. That is a lot more than 20 inch lbs torque to rotate! The pinion torque to rotate should not increase past the specification when the pinion nut is at full torque. How can you have 20 inch lbs right now? Did you have to loosen the pinion nut? Am I misunderstanding you? I think you might be saying you had to hold the yoke still with a pipe wrench? If so that's OK, it is tighter than h$LL! It is 200 ft lbs on a Model 44.

To re-state, the torque to rotate is set with the pinion nut at full torque and the Ring gear removed from the housing.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-03-2022 at 07:46 AM.

I only have it torqued to 100 ft lbs. The specs say to torque pinion nut to 150 ft lbs minimum .

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post
    I only have it torqued to 100 ft lbs. The specs say to torque pinion nut to 150 ft lbs minimum .
    Metalshaper checks his rotational torque at 100 ft lbs in his video on rear axle assembly .Should i be checking rotational torque at 150 ft lbs ? If so im not torqueing it enough to check rotational torque . And i have the ring gear out when i check rotational torque.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 08-03-2022 at 09:09 AM.

I am not sure who metalshaper is but, he should be torquing the pinion to its minimum specification at least, when setting the preload. Sometimes you can get a little more torque to rotate by increasing the torque on the nut to its maximum specification of 220 ft lbs. Make no mistake, there is a lot of torque on the pinion nut on the model 44. If you have ever seen one come loose, you would never question that torque again! You need to hold the yoke solid.

Below is a link to the official Spicer Manual. The Jeep Universal Manual is also a good source as it is a reprinting of the early Dana manual. Both manuals indicate the torque at 200 to 220 ft lbs. I have seen a lot of different numbers. If you google it you can get mislead in many directions! When writing these manuals, I always included engineering in the meetings, and they always had to proof read them before we published them. I think the best bet is always the factory manuals.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...r-Carrier-Type
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-03-2022 at 11:51 AM.

Metalshaper is a youtube personality who does a lot of jeep maintenance videos. I don’t know that I have ever watched one of his videos but has a pretty big following on other websites.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I think bmorgil should know what he’s talking about, he did write the manuals for Dana before he retired.

Gonna do the best I can . Gonna do the pinion pre load to get approximately .030 rotational torque inch lbs , at 150 or more if you advise to do so. Tnx bmorgil . Means i gotta add shims to decrease previous pre load I had when i torqued it to 150 ft lbs after i set it rotational torque .020 at 100 ft lbs , then i torqued it to 150 ft lbs, which I believe now to be incorrect .
    Last edited by Wulfie; 08-03-2022 at 08:27 PM.