Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Wulfies nostalgia project

Thanks guys . I know the F 134 sits higher than the L134 , was wondering where this difference comes from , is the head higher or the block itself or is the carburator the difference or some other factor ? Or motor mounts .

It doesn't actually "set" higher more like it is higher. The lower block is the same height. It is the cylinder head, Intake manifold, rocker shaft and subsequent valve cover for the overhead intake valves that raise the overall height of the final assembly. Same motor mounts etc..

When the CJ-3A went to the CJ-3B with the F-134 engine, the hood had to get taller (the "breadbox" hood) to accommodate the F-134's higher valve cover and carburetor. Most trucks and wagons had room for the F-134 without any modifications. It's close, but it fits. You have issues if you want to put an air filter atop the carburetor, but a stock air cleaner with the goose-neck to a flex hose works well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Thanks Larry! There is the difference. The F head mounts the linkage to the side of the block where the L head has the linkage behind the block. That is where I had to clearance the Firewall for the bracket on the back of the block on the L head. You could get the L head bracket and fit it in behind the block in the approximate position. That will show what you need. I think the Juan tub has a few things that they (Juan) mixed up. The dash on my 3A worked but was a cross between a 2A and a 3A. It had to have a few things repaired. The starter switch/coil is in the dash on a 2A and the holes had to be fixed. I am convinced the firewall is modified from the 3B firewall, which explains why the relief is not there for the bracket. A little chopping here and welding there, a little Bondo and, it's a 3A!

You are right on track Wulfie. The whole body project starts with the grill. Like you have it. That is exactly how they came down the assembly line. First the grill goes on then the fenders, and the tub fits up from there. Once the fenders are where they go, the tub has to be manipulated in whatever manner to get it to bolt to the fenders. The tub is then centered left to right on the frame and squared. The tub is usually not flat on the bottom. The shape of the tub is usually a bit twisted until you get it bolted and pulled down into shape on the frame to the 1/4 rubber spacers between the tub and the frame. The spacers need to provide enough clearance between the tub and the top of the transmission transfer case. The tub should not touch anything but the rubber pads. To align the clutch pedal and brake pedal to the holes in the floor, the shafts are forged. They can be bent slightly in a press and reinstalled if they don't come straight through the centers of the holes in the floor. This adjustment is common. If you get a new brake pedal or clutch pedal, there is a very good chance you will have to custom bend it just a little to get a perfect fit.
    When I was lining up body , i had the brake arm on but not the clutch arm . When i tried to put on clutch arm it seemed not to wanna line up right , looked to far towards the body center , looking like it might hit the front left body support .Brake arm was in perfect alignment , finally slid the clutch arm on and it lined up also . Then i started putting on grill and fenders , close but not exzactly , right rear of body was not lined up the same as left rear , also right front fender was a lil off also ,needed to go forward a lil ,also grill mounting holes on bottom support not in alignment but close , hard to move body just sitting there then remimbered that i had put in bolts on back cross member to help keep body in half *** alignment , gonna try and get it better tomorrow , gonna lube up my home made pads so body will slide on them easier . Thanks again for the help peeps all of you.

Keep at it Wulfie, it takes a little wiggling around.

Wiggle , wiggle , wiggle

Got the F 134 engine in , tight fit but can see why peeps cut out hood . Went ahead and installed The trans good thing i did , more alignment issues poped up. Guess i go back to the wiggling board. Last pic is pic of cj2a linkage and there plenty of room behind of head. There are 3 holes on back of block , the cj2a throttle linkage bolted right up, I stand corrected about not being holes on back of block , when i first looked it was pretty well covered in gunk but after cleaning off they revealed themselves. Shallow 1/4 inch bolt holes. Was really getting to like the MD Juan bodie until saw how far off the trans hole is , hopefully wiggle will cure it ,if wiggling it in place takes out steering and brake and clutch then think of plan B. Also had quarter inch pad under front hat channel but had to go to 1/2 inch to get body up so bolts would clear at shifter hole . Maby cut out and move over , or move trans over , but cluth linkage support needs to be modified, if move trans over.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wulfie; 08-25-2022 at 07:38 PM.