Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Wulfies nostalgia project

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    I think bmorgil should know what he’s talking about, he did write the manuals for Dana before he retired.
    Lets say that our Technical Service team and the Marking team and the Engineering team made a printer print them! Tech service manuals took a good deal of time and money. I think they have it streamlined a bit now. In the beginning we took actual photographs and Marketing created "storyboards". The digital age definitely changed that. Unfortunately, everything that was taken as a photograph doesn't turn out well in the digitized format. Like the attached link for the Spicier manual, the photos are not very visible. They just don't transfer well to digital. They were great photographs!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-03-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post
    Gonna do the best I can . Gonna do the pinion pre load to get approximately .030 rotational torque inch lbs , at 150 or more if you advise to do so. Tnx bmorgil . Means i gotta add shims to decrease previous pre load I had when i torqued it to 150 ft lbs after i set it rotational torque .020 at 100 ft lbs. If you follow what I am saying.
    Go after it at 200 ft lbs of torque on the pinion nut Wulfie. Approach it slowly. Check it every 50 ft lbs as you approach 200 ft lbs. If at 200Lbs of torque you have 20 to 30 inch pounds of torque to rotate your done. If it is a little light, you can torque it to a full 220 ft lbs. sometimes that will give you a little more torque to rotate. You need to bring a NEW pinion nut (or RED Loctite on a used one) to at least 200 ft lbs before you take it out for a run. Therefore, you must know the rotational torque of the pinion without the carrier at 200 ft lbs on the pinion nut.

Noticed that when I read the manual , but it is what it is ,still wish I had a bag phone . HI HO ,HI HO off to work we go , will shoot for 200 ft lbs . Tnx again bmorgil . I need a push once in a while .

Your welcome Wulfie!

I remember the Bag Phone! I had one of those, 1994.... In a galaxy far, far away!

Ah, the bag phone! I had one in my '90 Chevy pickup. Radio Shack special for a penny to start, but don't get out of your area, because roaming charges were steep.

You actually needed a pickup with a bench seat to carry it around with ya

The handle fit around the transfer case shifter, so it didn't slide around when hooking corners. The Radio Shack version didn't have a battery, so it had to be plugged in to use. You could buy a battery, but it was more than the phone. I ended up selling it some time in the late '90s. Folks from the Southwest were buying them up because the range was much better than the phones of the day. The networks still service the phones because there wasn't anything better at the time.

Wow the bag phone sure stirred up some noise lol.

Raring to get UP !

Got "RIPPER" up on his front 2 feet. Got the new rims , painted em up , been doing brake lines and finishing front hubs ,put steering rods on , and rippers two front teeth ,or zapats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

" S brake lines " and ball joints

Question about "S" brake lines . Used the old ones if leaks cant stop , will put new ones on , thought it be easier to hook up originals . Also on steering rod ball joints castlated nuts to short so put washers under them ,cheapie knuckle joints i got off of e bay , dont think ill do that again. Kaiser Willys seems to be spot on about stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images