Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wulfies nostalgia project

Fender fitment

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    In my opinion, I would fix the fenders to where they fit the 3B frame to clear the shock mounts. Mark the spot that the shock mount is on the 3B frame, then cut it out. Take the metal removed to fill in the 2A shock mount hole.
    Im gonna fit fenders up to cj3b frame. Gonna have to remove a lil material from left fender where it interfears with shock mount. First pic shows where left fender is contacting rear of front shock mount bracket. Right side is really alright no issues except for aft of fender there is a hole to mount rear of fender to frame , hole is missing on cj3b frame. Second pic shows shock in lower left corner of pic the shock mount for the cj2a , which is different then cj3b .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Getting ready for primer

Getting the frame ready for the primer after OSHPO bath, tired of looking at flash rust. Also got the center grill tab located and welded to front cross member. Also finally found a machine shop in Corpus Christy Texas, to bore and grind valves and install valve guides, and grind crank, the owner says he is the only shop left that does cranks there. Also a question about these springs in pic , are they usable or should be replaced ? They are pretty rust in between each spring .

Spring is sprung

"Also a question about these springs in pic , are they usable or should be replaced ? They are pretty rust in between each spring ."

I'm cheap. so take this advice with that in mind. If you don't see any broken leaves, I'd clean them up as well as you can and I'd oil them very well to let the leaves slide easier.

But - if they look like this one - no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    "Also a question about these springs in pic , are they usable or should be replaced ? They are pretty rust in between each spring ."

I'm cheap. so take this advice with that in mind. If you don't see any broken leaves, I'd clean them up as well as you can and I'd oil them very well to let the leaves slide easier.

But - if they look like this one - no brainer.
    Thanks Larry , I guess I got as good as it gets for 70 year old springs. Taking your lead and gonna clean em up and see how they fly. I saw some at Debellas for 120 apiece which is not a bad price . Walcks wants I think 175 each.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 06-03-2022 at 07:34 PM.

New paint looks great

Got the frame in prime. Man what a difference new paint makes ! The fan is just in OSHPO in that pic. Got the tranny cross member also primed , rear cross member and V support also , I guess I shoulda included them in pic , sry about that.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 06-03-2022 at 07:31 PM.

Looking like its ready for reassembly now Wulfie!

Ha ,ha ,ha maby next year.

About springs

Well got on the springs ! Cleaned em up and then osphoed em up and started painting. I got a few pics here to show what I got in the item of springs. Had set of cj2a springs and set of springs that came off of cj3b . Well got to cleaning them up and oh i ordered the bolt that holds the stack together, wyllys calls em , spring centering stack bolt , well a lot of peeps go by different names . Ordered 5/16 by 1 3/4 inch. During clean up i finally measured spring stack , 2 inches. So found some more bolts on line finally, not exzactly i wanted but a lil trimming and they will do. First pic is about two stacks that were together , one stack higher than the other . Second pic shows difference . Third pic shows difference in length. Fourth pic shows difference in spring eye shapes . The larger eyes in bottom spring in fourth pic is wallered out shape , as compared to the two top spring eyes. By the way the two top springs in fourth pic are truck springs.

Couple more observations about springs

First pic is the front springs off of the cj3b frame which im gonna put back on , they in good shape. The pic shows an extra plate in one of the stacks, there is about one leaf difference in the two stacks , think im gonna take that lil plate of and make em more even in hight. Paint im using to paint springs, just painting outside of stack not in between each spring. Waiting on new center bolts , then take em apart clean up and paint.

Finally got old battery box removed and the new fitted up and ready to weld. Got box of engine rebuild kit in.