Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1947 CJ2a Digging in...

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    A. Are those pictures of the old engine?

B. Is it just the light, or is there something going on on the wall of #3?

Good eye LarrBeard

The pictures are of the engine from the Hobart Welder. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow night to verify whether #3 is badly scored/damaged or not. I know cylinder walls can be machined, but what is the point of no return? Meaning how much damage is too much?

"... but what is the point of no return? Meaning how much damage is too much?"

For the 4-134 engines, you can get piston/ring sets out to 0.080 oversize. If an 0.080 won't clean it up, there is always the option to sleeve the cylinder. Sleeving a cylinder really isn't that big of a deal, especially when you are trying to salvage a block. A good machine shop can look at it and give you an answer pretty quickly. Sleeving was pretty common on a lot of farm tractors.

GM Willys, how far do you overbore to sleeve a cylinder?

I think the sleeve from Hastings is around 3.300+ O.D.. The press fit is .001" to .003" with .00175" press fit as optimum. It all depends on the sleeve measurements before installation however. The shop will definitely measure the sleeve first. The standard bore of an L134 is 3.125". So the overbore will be at least .175" over bored and probably more depending on the sleeve.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-04-2022 at 05:20 PM.

Bmorgil has got you covered in regards to cutting in for sleeves. From the photos, it doesn't look too bad. The marks in #3 cylinder looks to be where the piston rings had sat until the engine was torn down. Looks like the engine was stuck at the time of disassembly, so that's where all the crud accumulated. It looks like it should clean up without having to go too deep in the cylinder bore.

Thank you Gentlemen for the info. I am going to take a look at the block tonight. Where is the best place to get pistons if I need a different size?

'...Where is the best place to get pistons if I need a different size?.."

I suspect you will need a different size, just to clean up the bores and to make sure that you are going to get good ring seals. There are a lot of places to buy Jeep pistons, but Kaiser Willys has proven to be a good vendor over the years.

Examples:

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-rep...h-4-134-engine

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-com...h-4-134-engine

The pistons are made by Silvolite. We have some good threads that had discussions about pistons a while back. If you search in the top right search bar for Silvolite there is some interesting stuff on rebuilding. Here is a link

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...archid=1875607

So no matter where you get them they are going to be Silvolites. Be sure they can take them back just in case your machinist says you need the next oversize. To do a good job you should have the pistons in hand when you are ready to bore it out. This usually means you let the machinist see it, he takes a shot at the finished bore size and then the pistons are ordered. They are SILV-O-LITE 2606 pistons. They come in .010" - .080 in .010" increments. It is probable your machinist can order the pistons from his source directly. This puts the burden on them to get the size correct.

I bought mine from KW. The price was right and I have had un-questioned returns and replacements from them.

BMorgil:

When I go to:

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...archid=1875607

FYI - your link may be broken:

vBulletin Message
    vBulletin Message
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Yes same is happening to me. It changes address as more posts are made. Its never going to work for long. Just go into the search bar and type in "silvolite" It pulls up 4 or so good discussions.