Thread: Clutch to the floor.

Clutch to the floor.

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a CJ-2A Normandy Blue Willy's that is clean. I was driving it and the clutch fell to the floor. Do I need to remove the transmisson and transfer case to fix it? Also, is there a way to identify what intermediate shaft is in my current T90 without pulling it apart? My goal is to buy all used mechanical, rebuild them, and not have the jeep out of commission.

Before you think its the worst, make sure the linkage is all still hooked up. In particular I would be sure the bell crank cross shaft is still in position from the frame to the bell housing. Next I would suspect that the end fell off the cable hooking the clutch release fork to the bell crank cross shaft.

Bmorgil, Thanks for responding. I watched all the linkages moving and followed it to the cable. All the linkages seemed to be moved correctly and smoothly. I gave the cable a little pull to see if it was totally free and it wasn't to the best of my knowledge. There seemed to be a significant amount of play in there though.

If the linkage is good, you could remove the floor around the transmission and remove the inspection cover from the bell housing. You can look right at the clutch and throw out bearing assembly.

Is the clutch engaged or disengaged? If it is disengaged (engine and drive train locked together) and the pedal just drops to the floor, it sounds like something broke in the fork throw out bearing assembly. If it is engaged or the engine is not locked to the drive train, It would leave me to believe the clutch cover/plate assembly is defective. You need to pull the transmission and transfer case to replace the clutch.

Clean up the end of the cross shaft at the retainer on the outside of the case and you should be able to measure the intermediate shaft. Unless the transfer case has been changed out or your CJ is a pre '46, it should have an 1 1/8" shaft in it.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-26-2022 at 05:07 PM.

Sorry the delay in response. I had password/login trouble.

After taking you expert advice, watching youtube videos, and reading the site comments on clutches. I think this is what is happening.

First, clutch return spring went flying somewhere never to be found. Second, the carrier bearing isn't returning smoothly unless pushed with a screw driver while the inspection port is open. Third, the pressure plate fingers show signs of new wear because the carrier bearing was rubbing against them while the motor turned over. I've attached a couple photos.

I'm having a hard time stopping myself from dropping the trans/transfer case and rebuilding the clutch to new. Yes, I am that type......it's a curse.

The good news is that I love problem solving and these Jeeps are a easy learn. I can't believe how much I have learned geeking out on videos.clutch finger worn.jpg

clutch issue.jpgclutch issue.jpg
    Last edited by wannajeep; 04-28-2022 at 10:24 AM.

Looking pretty bad in there. I would drop the trans. The wear on the fingers of the clutch levers are because the throw-out bearing is bad. It is not turning against the fingers under pressure. You can see it is wearing right through them. There should be little to no wear there. The distance from the fingers to the bearing in the first picture is quite a bit. I would say the clutch is shot. All the rust on the input shaft of the transmission is not going to allow smooth clutch operation.

Feed your obsession, replace the clutch, resurface the flywheel and replace the throw-out bearing. Check the input shaft for wear, make sure the front bearing retainer is in good shape and the bearing slides freely on it.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-28-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Bmorgil is spot on as usual. The throw out bearing is toast, and it has eaten into the clutch fingers. Follow the guidance of your curse, and you'll be fine!

Ahhhh.....I'm actually glad because knowing that it looks like crap in there would drive me nuts if i didn't have to drop the transmission and transfer case to fix it. Thank you Bmorgil and gmwillys for putting me in the right direction.