Thread: Shift Lever pin set screw and zerk fitting broken off

Shift Lever pin set screw and zerk fitting broken off

Hello,

I'm trying to get transfer case/transmission dropped and can't get the transfer case shifters off because the zerk fitting and shift lever pin set screw are broken off. Any ideas that may speed things up? I'm close to using a cutting torch and buying new shifters. Shifter pin broken.jpgZerk fitting broken.jpg

Man that's a tough one! You can take the rear cross-member loose and drop the rear of the transmission down just enough to hopefully gain access to the pin. Watch the back of the motor, it will eventually hit the firewall, be careful of your throttle linkage. You can drill the set screw out and use a thread repair coil to bring it back.

The shifters are available as is the pin https://www.kaiserwillys.com/vehicle...-transfer-case Worst case you could use a cutoff wheel on a die grinder and cut them off fairly easy.

If you can get the vehicle in the air high enough, you may be able to wrestle it out with the shifters still on.

I fear after looking at your pictures, that the pin isn't just going to slide out easily like it should. I think you are going to need to get the transfer-case out and remove the transmission from it so you can use a punch to drive the pin out once the bolt is drilled out.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-01-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Yep! As I expected. Time to do some cutting!!

Is there anyway to pull the front housing without the rest of the transfer case or pull the transfer case and leave the front housing hanging by the shifters?
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I cut them off. I should of done this hours ago because it was much faster and time is money.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-30-2022 at 08:28 AM.

Well it's your project so time is effort and money! Sometimes you just have to go for it. Don't feel like your the only one who has cut them off. I have seen plenty of cores with the sticks cut off. You can get them out with the sticks in but, it takes two people and the vehicle needs to be in the air.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-02-2022 at 06:33 AM.