Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with my Generator?

Hi thanks for the reply. So I got to run the jeep around the neighborhood a couple of times in the last few days. On a side note, it's fantastic to see people's eyes light up at the sight of what would have been a clunker 40 years ago, Even the teenagers seemed impressed.

So here are my impressions: The ammeter was wagging wildly until I engaged all of the electrics: headlights, blinkers, horn... Wow! that's it, no other accessories, lol. After the blinkers went on the meter went to a slight tick on the negative side. I turned the blinkers and electrics off and it would move smoothly in a small range around 0. I wasn't looking how it looked when I cranked the starter, but will do next time. I have a friend who is a major car collector coming out for something else on August. I'll have him look at it when he does.

There's a lot going on with this rig which hasn't seen the road in ages. Right now my biggest issue is a stall that seems to come from gas starvation. My first thought was bad ignition due to low voltage but it cranked over very strong. Still trying to figure the gas out. I red coated the tank a couple of years ago, so I don't think I have sediment in the tank but maybe there's a piece of coating flapping around the fuel line outtake. Might check the fuel pressure to make sure I'm not starving my carb. It also seems to be running rich. Heck, I'm a novice when it comes to all this stuff.

Another issue is that the front left brake is sticking. I suspect a retractor spring, maybe a stuck brake cylinder. Won't know for a while since KW's front hub pullers are on back order until Sept. Plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied in the mean time.

Pretty jazzed to have it finally running up and down the street, even with all of its bugs.

Happy Independence Day!

Surely someone besides KW sells a hub puller that would work and has it in stock.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

The KW hub puller is a re-production of the original Willys tool. It is a nice tool and well priced. You only need it if the front hub has stuck on. Most of the time the hub will come off with some "tapping" with a soft hammer. There are a few hub pullers that will work.

Ok, good to know on both accounts. I also bought the heavy duty hub puller as I was under the impression that they do separate jobs. I probably need to get into the e-brake at some point since it engages but seems to need a little adjusting, so that heavier puller will see some use soon. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction there too, BTW--it would have been quite a headache to try to put the lever on backwards from what it looked like in the shop diagrams and then frustrating to try to route the cable through the empty mount next to the exhaust, lol.
    That's not to mention that doing the brakes again will probably happen sooner or later as I whittle down my priority list. After all this time I can officially say the jeep is in the driving debugging stage. I've wondered for the longest time if I would ever get there.

It is great being able to tool around in it a little bit. It lets you know it is a possibility! You definitely will have to keep the brakes high on the to do list.

To remove the Emergency brake drum, it comes off with the end yoke. Use a smaller two jaw puller hooked to the end yoke to pull the yoke and drum off together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks.

So this thread needs to be called, "What's Going on with my What Have You?".

This is probably not a big enough deal to warrant its own thread. I bought a grease gun from KW with a pile of other stuff. I can't seem to get any pressure out of it. It's a little different from my smaller grease gun or the one that my neighbor has. Does anyone have this model?
    Anyway, unlike my smaller grease gun, I can't push the bottom cylinder in to force any air out. When you release the catch on the lower rod it just allows the spring on the cylinder to push the grease up to the pump, but I don't get any pressure if I pump. If I take the ball checks off, grease comes oozing out, so I don't think air pockets are my problem. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a bad o-ring on the pump piston or cup, but there are no user serviceable parts or way to disassemble the piston assembly. Any input is welcome. I still suspect user error even though I've done just about everything I can imagine to try to get pressure out of this thing.

On my grease guns there is a small plug at the pump end to purge the grease into the pump. Which pump do you have? Is it the reproduction hand pump? Give the boy's at KW a call, I know they will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Is it the reproduction hand pump? Give the boy's at KW a call, I know they will help you.
    Yup, I shot Mike an email. Just waiting for a reply. Looking at specs similars on the internet, it looks like it has a purge and a fill valve for filling from a bulk grease pump.

Nemo is the gun from KW’s you bought a cartridge type gun that you put a tube of grease in it?
    If it is try unscrewing the tube the cartridge slides into about 2-3 turns and it will realease the air pocket on top of the grease and take it up to the pump handle, pump it a few times and screw the tube back in.
    It may take a few try’s to get the pump primed before it starts pumping beings it’s brand new.

It never fails that when you work in a shop, all the grease guns are put up empty. Purging the air trapped in the head of the gun is a pain in the rear. TJones has the best advice that one can give for priming a new gun.