Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Owner Just Aquired

New Owner Just Aquired

Hello, actually came across this 6 months ago, it's been sitting for several years. Told the owner if she ever wanted to sell it let me know.

Picked it up this past weekend pretty cheap, still looking it over but so far from a rust standpoint the floorboards are the only major issue. Frame looks straight and doesn't look like it has major issues. That all might be wishful thinking.

I'm thinking body off restoration and rebuild of orignal motor.

Not going the military look way (at this point) just beach Jeep look.

Thoughts?
    Capt B
    IMG-7012.jpgIMG-7011.jpgIMG-7010.jpgIMG-7007.jpg
    IMG-7013.jpg

Nice! What year is it? Appears to have the same engine as mine (134 ci) 4 cylinder. The top looks newer.

Based on what my online research shows it's a 1960 CJ-5. The engine should be an F4-134.

That's what I got from the data plate. Not sure if it's 100% correct, but that's what I'm calling it now. I have no title but working that with the state of Tennessee. I'm sure I'll eventually get one but they will have me jump through the hoops.

CaptB, a great start for a restore! Man it looks really complete. The top is a very nice thing to have. That CJ should restore like new.

Welcome CaptB,

That is a good looking CJ5 that you have. The body looks pretty good, sans the floor boards as you said. Not a huge deal at all. We look forward to seeing more on your project.

CaptB:

Welcome to the group. I concur with the 1960 CJ-5 identification. 57548 identifies it as a CJ-5 and the 119396 puts it in the middle of the 1960 serial number block.

The engine is indeed the F-134 which was introduced to replace the flathead L-134 in the early 1950's.

I like the resident dirt-dobber nest on top of the engine

We had luck that day, it was not occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Welcome CaptB,

That is a good looking CJ5 that you have. The body looks pretty good, sans the floor boards as you said. Not a huge deal at all. We look forward to seeing more on your project.
    I do have a question on the fenders, they're both beaten up, should these be body worked or just replaced? From what I see now, the only other body type replacement will have to be the floorpan, it's possible to repair but getting a new one looks to be less than $1K.

The fender I can see doesn't look too bad. I would try to use the originals if you can. Nothing will fit like them on the original body. There are excellent reproduction parts out there also. gmwillys and others on this forum have done a fair share of floorboard replacement. Take a few pictures of the damage. I am sure they can let you know what might be the best way to go on your floor boards.

I do have another question, does that data plate look factory installed? It's basically screwed into the firewall and I wasn't sure if that's correct from the factory.

TYIA.