Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Owner Just Aquired

Yes it looks identical to mine. Four Philips head screws.
    jeep4.jpg

Fixing fenders

I would stay with the original fenders. They are not that hard to rework - on the '48 we did a fair amount of splicing and piecing to add back the parts that had broken off. Getting a good fit on an after market might take as much work as fixing the old ones - and you know they will look right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nameplate - Tennessee Native

That is the way they did it back then - none of these fancy "no tamper" fasteners to hold on VIN plates, just four screws.

Where in Tennessee are you? The '48 and I started out in Jackson, over on the West side of the state. Notice the '55 Tennessee plate on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    That is the way they did it back then - none of these fancy "no tamper" fasteners to hold on VIN plates, just four screws.

Where in Tennessee are you? The '48 and I started out in Jackson, over on the West side of the state. Notice the '55 Tennessee plate on the front.
    I am in Tipton County. Not far from Jackson. Where are you located? Anyone else from the Memphis area?

I would make every effort to use the front fenders you have. They won't be that difficult to bend back into shape, just some time and patience. The floor pans are pretty easy if you choose to remove the body from the frame. The photo enclosed is of a M38A1 that I did some body work on. The floors were pretty much gone to the point that you couldn't lift the body off the frame without it wanting to taco in half. A little time and effort, and anything can be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I would make every effort to use the front fenders you have. They won't be that difficult to bend back into shape, just some time and patience. The floor pans are pretty easy if you choose to remove the body from the frame. The photo enclosed is of a M38A1 that I did some body work on. The floors were pretty much gone to the point that you couldn't lift the body off the frame without it wanting to taco in half. A little time and effort, and anything can be fixed.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll plan on gettng the fenders straight. I'm sure that there's more than I'm seeing but this will be a body off full refurbishment. I'd say restoration but that wouldn't be technically correct.