Thread: Running to hot

Running to hot

I flushed the radiator the best I could....I removed the thermostat, she still runs hot, gauge shows 180-190. thermometer in rad show 170 plus
    I would have thought it would have run cooler and this is driving around the block several times
    I found a radiator guy who's says he can boil it or whatever it may need....Its a CJ2A and I told him the shroud is soldered to the rad, at least I hope its soldered and not brazed
    Thing is im concerned if its worth even fixing.....It looks on the outside to be in great shape, no leaks or beat up
    Previous owner ran a lot of this copper looking stuff which I assume to be stop leak and I suspect a block or head gasket leak
    We shall see what happens

Steve what do the plugs look like? Is it steaming them? Is there white steam in the exhaust? If the head gasket is blown there should be bubbles in the water in the radiator when the engine is running. With the engine cold take of the cap and fire it up and look inside. The water with no thermostat in it, should be flowing freely in the radiator. if it is not moving suspect the water pump or a clogged radiator. If it is moving look for bubbles. Bubbles would indicate a blown head gasket.

I would wonder about the condition of the radiator and the water pump, if it is running and starting well.

I will look more closely at water in rad and put pressure checker and see if pressure rises. I pulled the water pump and nothing stood out as far as the impeller in pump
    No white smoke and starts easily......At this point im thinking rad has clogged tubes.......Thanks for help

I had a radiator that wouldn't cool in winter. It was clean as a pin on the outside, even looked to have been boiled out. I had gotten in in a pile of parts, so the history was unknown. Turns out there was a bunch of mud dauber nests plugging the flies.

I think it is partially plugged....It has the fan shroud soldiered or brazed to it....If they need to rod it, removing and reinstalling that shroud has got to be expensive
    What would be my most economical options for a new radiator?

I used a Champion in mine. I had to do a little work to make it fit but, it went pretty well. The other option is to purchase a reproduction. The reproduction can get expensive.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ator-in-a-CJ3A

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I used a Champion in mine. I had to do a little work to make it fit but, it went pretty well. The other option is to purchase a reproduction. The reproduction can get expensive.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ator-in-a-CJ3A
    Well I bought a new radiator from Kaiser. Was pretty much bolt in. My upper hose was to short and I had to lengthen the radiator to firewall rod
    I want to pressure check the system but my Stant is to small for larger rad filler neck.....Tried ordering the adapter from multiple sources and nobody has them anymore....Figure that one out
    Anyway found a used one on E-Bay, looks to have good gasket and it comes next mid week, hopefully
    I suspect a crack in the block or a head gasket leak......No white smoke and no water in oil .....The engine is full of this copper type stop leak, I still see it now in fresh antifreeze and the engine was run with just water for awhile
    She still runs not bad, needs a valve adjustment......As summer goes by, I will do compression and leak down test of cylinders, plus a radiator pressure check and leaving checker on rad while engine is running should show id compression is getting into cooling system
    Either way something is suspect but until then she is running cool.................Much thanks for help