Thread: Running R (Family '56 CJ5)

Running R (Family '56 CJ5)

Just joining the forum. I am new to being on a forum, but wanted to join to learn and share info as I bring my '56 CJ back up to being road worthy (and get it back the way it was when my Dad gave it to me).

A little about my jeep. It was purchased new here in Texas by a ranch to be used by one of their hands. After the first winter, the old cowboy thought it was too cold to get around in on the ranch in and was traded to my Dad for a Dodge Power Wagon. It was kept in my Dad's shop to drag dead cars around and we used it to quail hunt in and for general recreation. All our family in my generation (2 sisters and a brother) learned to drive in it as well as all the grandkids. Sometime in the 80s, my Dad repainted it and redid the upholstery and had it in really good shape. About 1990, my Dad closed his business and the jeep became mine. I kept it in a shop behind my house until about '14 when I took it to the country and kept it there in my barn (no doors). As you might imagine, that was a real mistake! Rats finished off the old cloth wiring, racoons damaged the upholstery and dirt dobbers built nests in every crook and cranny they could find. It still runs good, there were no working lights and the brakes are nonexistent.

I am now retired and was looking for something to occupy my time, so I brought her home to get her back in shape. I just completed the installation of a 12 circuit fuse block and wiring harness to all components. It now has all the lights an gauges working. I am now getting ready to start on the front brakes, but am finding it difficult to find any YouTube videos on brake jobs on a '56 CJ with Warn hubs.

I am going to reach out to Kaiser Willys, but if anyone out there has done one of these before and has any info to share, I would really appreciate hearing from You!

Running R
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a nice looking Jeep! It is certainly all there. I will tell you nothing will come in more handy than the service manual when it comes to working on your brakes.

Welcome RR
    You definitely stopped by the right place for getting answers to anything you may want to know about fixing up your beautiful piece from the past!!!
    You did a Great job on the wiring!
    I’m sure somebody will chime in shortly about your brakes and warn hub question, they actually pretty simple to get apart and repaired/replaced.

I too recommend getting a manual. I haven’t pulled a drum on a front end in over 30 years and that was on a Bronco. My CJ3A has discs on the front which will come off without pulling the hub. My CJ2A is original so no lockouts to look at and I haven’t had it apart. Just glancing at the manual makes me think the whole hub has to come off so the bolts on the Warn would have to come out to get access to the hub nut to remove the hub/drum assembly. The hub/drum assembly appears to be pressed together via the wheel lugs. Please use the proper hub wrench rather than a hammer and punch on the hub nut. since you have lockouts it may be different and the drum just slide over the lockout. BUT, like I said I haven’t done one like that myself. Goodluck.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Thanks for replies! Got a Service Manual as suggested and tore into my front hubs/brakes. Have now ordered parts and looking forward to putting them back together. Once that is done, will start on rear brakes.