Thread: CJ3B to CJ2 Conversion

CJ3B to CJ2 Conversion

Hello folks,

I juts picked up a 1954 willy cj3b witht he high hood because it had all the goodies i wanted BUTT i want the cj2 front grille and hood. Is there a way to retrofit it? has anyone done? is it juts bolt on? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm no expert, but I own a '54 3B. Essentially a 3B is a step between the 3A and the 5. There are a handful of parts that are only 3B (in the early model): the hood, grill, radiator, cowling, dash and windshield frame. The engine is the same as the 5 and the body and running gear are same as the 3A. There might be some other things, but I can't think of them. The point is, that if I can't find a 3B part, I look at 5 parts for the engine and 3A parts for just about everything else.

So coming to your question. First problem is that to do a lower hood you'll probably need to put in an L head engine. You could cut a hole in the hood for the carburetor to stick out, but that's just wacky imo. To fit a lower hood, you'll need a lower cowling, radiator, windshield frame and grill. And that's not considering that there are some frame and body differences from the 2A to the 3. I've heard that bolting a 2A body to a 3 frame isn't complicated, others here would know better than me. Really it comes to this: You probably can, but why?

3Bs tend to be the ugly duckling of the flat fender crowd, but that doesn't mean they're undesirable. Their values are going up right along side the others, maybe just a little more stubbornly. People ask me all the time if I want to sell, and any more I think they just see a flat fender and aren't really paying attention. Even Hollywood doesn't pay that much attention since they shot several scenes of Patton with George C Scott riding around in a 3B. I probably like the 2As and 3As slightly better, but my 3B has grown on me. Bottom line, if really you want a 2A or even a 3A, you're probably money ahead buying one rather then converting a 3B, unless you're already down to needing a new engine--good luck finding an L head btw, and you were going to replace your body anyway.

I just saw a picture of CJ2A with an F head motor the other day. I didn’t notice any holes in the hood. I will see if I can find it again.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Ok, well that answers a question I had in my mind if it was possible other than cutting a hole in the hood. That isn't a stock carb. I wonder what it is? I played with the idea of doing fuel injection for a similar conversion, but I'd probably prefer to put a TDI in. Well, good luck with your project!

Well that sure is an F head in there. The hood closes. I cant see the carb well enough to tell what it is. It could be a Holley.

I was just reading a thread about an “Iron Duke” in a GPW and a post in the same thread talked about a Chevy engine without hood modifications. I am not savvy enough to know the differences but it opens up other economical(?) possibilities.

I figured up the cost of doing a Kubota swap in my CJ3A. It was going to run me about $6000 five years ago to buy one already overhauled and install it myself. I doubt it’s gotten cheaper.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A