Thread: I think my e-brake lever is installed backwards

I think my e-brake lever is installed backwards

I think my e-brake lever is on backwards, if that’s possible. 2A14C85D-248D-4E65-A78F-8E12A254E6E1.jpg
    This 3-B is a basket case so a previous owner at some point may have reversed its orientation. Last time I drove it out the driveway I heard something rubbing and now it looks as if it has no option other than to rub on the drum. The e-brake has been low priority until now which is indicative of the progress finally being made.
    So just seeking confirmation from experienced folk. The lever is #8 here in this schematic E10709A4-394C-4C70-95B8-E92F2FE5AAEE.jpg and #19 in this drawing 658D2C04-3133-468C-B9AF-CB6B1E8C46C2.jpg

It’s sort of obvious that whoever assembled this e-brake before didn’t connect the cable correctly, but I was wondering if this bracket is where the cable is supposed to be connected? 6C595544-7135-4DEE-A94A-1E5D08A615B0.jpg
    I originally thought it was to hang the exhaust, but now studying the picture from the service manual, it looks more likely to be an e-brake bracket. Confirmation would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Nemo von Klepper; 05-28-2022 at 10:04 PM.

The bracket is for the "Retaining cable" that was used in the early days of CJ's and Military. It was a cable that attached the lower bottom driver side empty bolt hole on the bell housing to the cross-member. I believe the thought was should the engine move rear to front, it would prevent excessive motion. The cable isn't used in the later years but the bracket remained.Here are a few pic's, the 3B diagram and a picture of mine from underneath. Darn things came in upside down!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-30-2022 at 07:14 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Here are a few pic's, the 3B diagram and a picture of mine from underneath. Darn things came in upside down!
    I’ve been having a similar problem. I’m just pragmatic enough to stop myself from inverting the files before uploading, but my internal communications tyrant protesteth much (grammar nazi in the vernacular ).

So I have to ask if you use your jeep in the kitchen for human food preparation, LOL. Even my favorite Saab isn’t that clean underneath! Seriously, nice jeep!

Ok, thank you for your confirmation. I think my lever is properly oriented and that nothing must hang on the bracket next to my exhaust pipe. Just curious, but is your e-brake engaged in that pic? I see there is a lot of tension on that spring and cable.

I’m supposing there is a retaining clip that mounts to the crossmember to hold the cable housing. I don’t suppose there is a drawing somewhere to show what it should look like? It would be nice to see the retaining clip on the firewall too while we’re in that neighborhood.

It surprises me just how few photos and diagrams exist for these jeeps. Just to correctly install my carburetor, fuel lines and control cables I had to pour over hundreds of user photos and unrelated shop diagrams. From user photos, I can see I’m not the only person who struggles to get these jigsaw puzzles back together. And there seem to be far fewer pics of originally equipped 3Bs than just about anything else. I make a lot of educated guesses with pics from 3As and 5s.

Here are some photos of the configuration of our 2A parking brake. The 3B is just about the same, as far as I can remember. The stay cable mount throws everyone off the first time we crawl under a Heep for the first time. Rarely if ever are the cables still in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the clip on the cross member at the transfer case. There is one more on the firewall.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...2a-3a-3b-5-m38

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/emergen...56-cj-2a-3a-3b

Yes good eye Nemo, the E-Brake is on. "peeJ" is a garage queen no question about it. I only take it out if the weather forecast is good the day of, before and the day after!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-30-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil
    "peeJ" is a garage queen no question about it. I only take it out if the weather forecast is good the day of, before and the day after!
    Lol. That’s the way I am with my ‘94 Saab 900 Commemorative. I thought I was being fanatical until a friend of mine sold his ‘92 for $56k and mine was appraised for $20k. Not bad considering I only paid $1k for it 10 years ago.

Awesome investment on the Saab. I cant think of any legal way to get that kind of return!