Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Seat Belts in 62 CJ

Mounting Seat Belts in 62 CJ

Hi. I searched, but did not find an answer. I think I am going to mount lap belts in this CJ; just so I don't bounce out of it driving at the farm. Does anyone have pics of where to mount the bolts? I am scratching my head about it. Thanks,

Seat belt mounting points are important for safety. You don't want the belt to cause more harm or not hold in an accident. Here is a link to a site that can help you if you give them a call. https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/c-138...-brackets.html

Thanks! I'll give them a call.

I've also spent some time thinking about this.

There are so many factors that go into safely restraining a person in an accident and this vehicle is so marginal from a protection perspective (in its stock form) that I basically reduced my objective to one -- what can I do to save my face in the event of a head-on collision that might otherwise be survivable?

I decided that a simple 4 point ATV harness was about the best I was going to do without a roll cage. I've bolted the straps through the tub behind the seat, using the big washers provided. I drilled the holes at the point of a reinforcing rib to help prevent deforming or pull-through. That's about all I can do I think. Side and rear impacts - I'm outta luck. And rollover...? As they say....fuggetaboutit.......

The real thing the belts provide, is "helping" you stay somewhere near the pedals and the wheel. When you are off roading or maneuvering fast, that can be very challenging. As you pointed out, any impacts over 35 mph could be a bad deal no mater how you were bolted in!

Yes, great point. Being able to stay in place enough to continue to control the vehicle you may be able to prevent a bad situation getting worse. I'm a jeep novice...hence the post count - lol - and I was really surprised how high off the seat a moderate bump launched me first time I hit one. Probably felt worse than it actually was but it did give me a start.

Jeeps had the same mentality as farm tractors had in that vintage. The instructions were, (in some tractor operator manuals like Allis Chalmers) to sit on the high side fender, and be prepared to jump free of the equipment.

I went with three inch racing lap belts in our 2A. My reasoning for the racing belts was that they clip into a large eye bolt. Then I can remove the belts if it sits out side in the sun, or while washing out the tub. I didn't bother with shoulder harnesses because without running a roll over protection system, I don't want to be the tallest stationary object if it were to blow over. Rational thinking, probably not, but that's what I'm going with it. Now what if I get run over by a vehicle bigger than a Beetle, well, let's just hope for the best.

Its always been the same driver training in a Jeep... In case of emergency, keep driving as long as you can, then hope you are thrown free!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Its always been the same driver training in a Jeep... In case of emergency, keep driving as long as you can, then hope you are thrown free!
    LOL - yes - like with aviation. Fly the airplane as far into the crash as you can I believe Bob Hoover used to say...

Ironically, part of the reason I just got the 3a was to transition away from a '52 Ferguson tractor I've been using out at the cabin. Much as I love it, that thing is so incredibly dangerous I'd rather my kid learn to drive the jeep instead. At least this way I can ride along and yell at him when I need to....

"Fly the airplane as far into the crash as you can I believe Bob Hoover used to say..."

Old Navy Story:

F-4 jock had gear collapse landing at NAS Oceana. As he slid along the tower asked "Do you need emergency crew". Pilot (or GIB);" I don't know, I ain't done crashing yet".

(Yeah old stoiry...)