Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting Seat Belts in 62 CJ

I think its a great transaction. The power train in there was built to handle a lot more than the engine ever dreamed it could deliver. Consequently It will last a long time if maintained. Parts are readily available. It will go 40 mph all day long.

I cant see the seat support in yours. They did come with a spring setup. Also, Walk's is reproducing the spring seat. That might help the ride even more. The tallest tires you can fit will aid in the speed and the ride. These things all came with a very deep axle ratio. You can literally keep putting diameter in there till you hit something! The tire will start to hit the frame on turns.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    "Fly the airplane as far into the crash as you can I believe Bob Hoover used to say..."

Old Navy Story:

F-4 jock had gear collapse landing at NAS Oceana. As he slid along the tower asked "Do you need emergency crew". Pilot (or GIB);" I don't know, I ain't done crashing yet".

(Yeah old stoiry...)
    ROFL -- ha ha haven't heard that but such a great story!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I think its a great transaction. The power train in there was built to handle a lot more than the engine ever dreamed it could deliver. Consequently It will last a long time if maintained. Parts are readily available. It will go 40 mph all day long.

I cant see the seat support in yours. They did come with a spring setup. Also, Walk's is reproducing the spring seat. That might help the ride even more. The tallest tires you can fit will aid in the speed and the ride. These things all came with a very deep axle ratio. You can literally keep putting diameter in there till you hit something! The tire will start to hit the frame on turns.
    Thanks very much for the info on the spring seats and the drive train durability. My seat does have the springs. Was going to replace it with just foam inside but maybe I'll build the passenger seat first that way and look into Walk's product for the driver side.

As for tires I've got 225 80R16s I think...maybe 70. Nice squishy sidewall but it they do kiss the leaf shackles ever so slightly when locked hard over. Was considering some wheel spacers - so far I just watch how far I crank it.

[edit....oops....don't think you were talking to me....sorry]
    Last edited by CJ3eh; 08-09-2022 at 10:08 AM.

Yup talking to you CJ3eb! Keep us posted on the project.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    "Fly the airplane as far into the crash as you can I believe Bob Hoover used to say..."

Old Navy Story:

F-4 jock had gear collapse landing at NAS Oceana. As he slid along the tower asked "Do you need emergency crew". Pilot (or GIB);" I don't know, I ain't done crashing yet".

(Yeah old stoiry...)
    I had HUD video of an F16 pilot out practicing dogfighting. The word FUEL was flashing in the center of the HUD. After he gets the kill he calls his buddy and says they need to head back because he is “bingo” fuel and a few seconds later there is a little more urgency in his voice saying he needs to “land now”. If I recall the sequence correctly, he declared an emergency, the engine quits and he successfully dead sticks the landing. As he rolled to a stop the tower asked him if he needed help. Just declaring an emergency should have gotten fire trucks and a tow vehicle to the runway but they may not had time to roll. It’s probably on YouTube.

That was 4 or so computers ago so I don’t know if I still have those videos or not. I need to look. One of those videos showed a Navy person get sucked into a jet intake. I don’t remember what all was in the folder now.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

The turning stops, (threaded bolt and jam nut) on the back of the axle tube on both sides needs to be adjusted out to prevent the tires from rubbing the frame/leaf springs. It saves from having to add spacers.

Bob Hoover was one of my heroes growing up. I had the opportunity to get his autograph along with Chuck Yeager's while they were promoting Yeager's first book at Oshkosh. Mr. Hoover then did his flight demonstration with his Shrike Areo Commander, then later on he flew his Ole' Yeller P51 Mustang during the warbird presentation.

"One of those videos showed a Navy person get sucked into a jet intake."

That was in several of the safety videos that made the rounds in the Navy "back then". The A/C was either an F-8 or A-7 ( I think F-8 with the BIG chin inlet). Somewhere else in my memory bank is that the person involved in the incident actually survived - her never made it into the compressor blades.

An Air Force story: B-52- calls in for clearance. "Robins Tower, Orange Five-One turning final, one engine secured I am not declaring an emergency."

Comment on frequency; "Oh no, the dreaded seven engine approach".

And - no thanks guys - I do not need another Jeep to occupy the car barn - even one as cute as that little Jeepster. But, that would give Becky something to drive .....
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 08-10-2022 at 09:59 AM.