Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission????

Body under the car! That would be an easy fix!
    Good news transmission ok. Yes all mounts look good, bolts tight. I'll keep looking.... I just remember first time happened, shifted in gear clutch out and clunk and jump. Was hard enough to be suspicious, so something out of sorts. Somewhere. I'll keep looking... thank you so much for all your time and knowledge. I feel a little smarter now in another area of the jeep. Grandma did name it Bad News, she knew something I bet.

Paging Dr.Dana, paging Dr. Dana... or anyone who has experienced this.

Update.
    So I did find a broken poppet spring, but on the high gear side. All replaced and transmission back together... as I expected same problem exist. My dad came down today to help.
    Put on jack stands, put in reverse and it's like the drive shaft and axle bind up and shake, noise also. Did go thru forward gears and 3rd gear also did a little bit. Removed diff cover, metal dust in oil not chunks. Examined gears nothing broken. Turn drive shaft by hand now at this point, he thought it was a little sloppy back and forth. We could see nothing that said oh that's it. Now turn drive shaft counter clockwise and turns smoothly. But when turn drive shaft by hand clockwise it's hard to turn. Two hands . Seem like a hard spot then breaks loose turns and hits hard spot again..... something is binding up when shaft rotates clockwise. Takes all my might to free it to turn. We are not sure why, our thoughts are maybe a bearing? But which one if so. So I thought I would throw an update out here to see what y'all think.
    Thanks guys
    Scott

I wouldn't run it with the suspension hanging down at a high RPM or, for long. The u-joints are opperating at the highest angle possable when the suspension is hanging. All that said your problem is an easy one Scott. Check this link.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...or-new-springs

I have a feeling this will help you.

I haven't lift the jeep or changed anything in suspension. Set a pair of jack stands under the axle to see why its binding up in reverse. Actually stalled the jeep while wheels on ground. I know the rear end question was asked already trying to figure out reverse problems. Couple people have mentioned a brake hanging up? I can turn the tires with no problem and hear or feel nothing in drums. Whatever broke that day is hidden between transmission transfer cars to drive shaft and rear end. The rear end shutters real bad, but only in reverse.

Also u joints are tight... so I've inspected transmission gears all good. Rear end gears all good. Have not looked at transfer case gears or pulled drums off at this point. But we did think it was odd rotating the drive shaft by hand one direction no resistance but opposite direction hard to rotate....

Scott it is possible you have a brake shoe or component broken/loose in a rear drum or the emergency brake that is jamming up when the drum spins backwards. Crazier things have happened. I cant think of anything else it could be. If it moves fine forward but wont go backward, the transfer case is not at fault. The direction of torque is controlled by the transmission. The rear axle also would not be suspect if the vehicle/driveshaft moves fine forward.

Take the rear brake drums off and see if it still happens. If you don't find anything at the rear drums, pull the driveshaft and spin the emergency brake back and forth. With the rear driveshaft removed, lock it into four wheel drive and run on the front axle. See if it still happens without the rear driveshaft installed.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-17-2022 at 09:45 AM.

Yea the next plan is to pull the drums, since it's a rainy day.. the emergency brake has no shoes, removed all those components long ago.
    But yes thanks for the front wheel drive thought. Will try also if no issues in rear drums.
    Thanks again fingers are crossed all directions.

Ok my conclusion is. Nothing is broken in front axle back axle front and rear brakes ok. Yes still jumps in reverse with rear drive shaft removed with front axle locked in.
    My conclusion is back full circle to the transmission. No drive shafts hooked up, no broken gears in transmission or transfer case. Turn yoke by hand counterclockwise turns free and easy. Try to turn it clockwise and it's hard to do. Like a high spot or a cam. Turns half revolution then stops hard, break it past that point turns easy for another half revolution . My opinion is.... a bearing must be bad or a shaft is bent in the transmission or transfer case. Every thing else eliminated.

Scott, are you saying you have no driveshafts hooked up and you are turning the output yoke and it wont turn smoothly clockwise? I am assuming you put it in a gear and depress the clutch and turn the yoke. You are saying with the clutch depressed and the transmission in reverse, the yoke will turn smoothly counterclockwise but wont turn smoothly clockwise? If this is the case there is nothing it can be but something in the transmission reverse power flow or a bizarre clutch issue. If you have the clutch depressed and the transmission is doing what you are saying, something is wrong in the transmission and/or clutch.

Transmission is in neutral.