Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission????

Hybrid View

Transmission????

Ok transmission guys here's the issue.
    This just started, goes into gear and shifts gears going forward no problem. Put in reverse and there's a catch and it wants to jump makes noise wont move to good. So it's only reverse.
    In neutral I can roll forward and backwards fine, no noise or drag. Blocked up I can spin tires either direction fine, in gear. So no brake stuck.
    I did replace oil in transmission/ transfer this winter. First couple trips out this year no problem. Then one day it kinda grabbed then progressively got worse. So we are parked until fixed.
    Now gotta find source of problem.
    Cant wait to hear this good news... lol

Thanks
    Scott

Did you take the shift tower off to fill the tranny and transfer case?
    It sounds like the first and reverse shift fork missed the slider when it was put back together.
    Maybe one of the Admin’s will chime in shortly and figure your dilemma out, it’s gotta be pretty simple.

If it goes into first without any trouble, it sounds like the teeth are busted on the reverse idler and/or the idler mating side of the 1st / reverse gear.

Before I assumed transmission damage however, be sure the shifter and linkage is moving all the way into gear. A broken poppet spring in the cover can stop it from shifting all the way into gear. The reverse shift requires the lever to move the shift fork and 1st / reverse gear on the mainshaft. It takes the most force to make the 1st / reverse shifts.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-26-2022 at 04:01 PM.

I did not remove shift tower. I used fill plug.
    And before I dig into transmission, could it be something in the rear end? Just checking to narrow search?

Scott you have done a pretty good job of pinning it down. If it is fine in all gears except reverse, as long as it is shifting all the way into reverse, I think you have it figured out.

Well I guess I'll dive in. Thank you for the guidance. Wish me luck. Lol

You are an hour away Scott. If you need help, we will try and figure it out!

Bmorgil is the best in the business when it comes to drive lines. He knows his stuff, that's for sure.

gm is way too kind. I am heading for the oldest in the business however!

Scott, this could be something you might be able to see before you pull the transmission. Drain the lube and pull the floorboard and the cover off the trans. If gears are broken, I would expect to see metal and small pieces in the lube that drains out. With the cover off, position the transmission shift collar in neutral if it isn't already. You should be able to slide the first/reverse gear to the rear and engage the gear into the reverse idler. Get someone to help, and with the rear wheels off the ground and the clutch disengaged, you should be able to spin the driveshaft and watch inside the transmission as it spins. Look down into the case and see if everything is turning smoothly. If there are busted gears you should be able to see or hear it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing appears to be bent. I would not say bad wear just a good polish, I think the last pic shows the most wear .