Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Transmission????

Scott
    Get on YouTube and search for “Rick Stivers T-90 Teardown” video, it will walk you through step by step tear down and rebuild of your tranny.
    He also has the teardown and rebuild of your transfer case, you may as well go through it while you have them both on the bench!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 07-21-2022 at 04:42 AM.

You aren't annoying anyone Scott. This is what the forum is for, and this is how we get the information! There is a lot of support captured here over many years. Be sure to search the tech sections for subjects that have been encountered before.

When you look at Rick's guide, be sure to make this correction. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...-Stivers-Guide

It is important to note, the Willys Universal Manual does a great job of walking you right through the transmission. I would highly recommend following it after watching Rick's video.

At this point I think you have done as thorough an investigation as you can over the internet! If we have communicated what is going on back and forth correctly, I would say the reverse idler area is at fault. I am anxious to see what is going on in there.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-21-2022 at 07:59 AM.

thanks guys i will check out those videos. i`m anxious too.

It is strange - and I've noticed it over several years now - topics seem to run in cycles.

We go deeply into the innards of engines; cooling, oiling, valves, and a lot of carburetors. Then we go off on electrical topics; generators/alternators, regulators, gauges. But - this last month we have been in gear school with the lessons on how to set up a differential and your questions about the innards of the transmission.

Then there are the metal magicians who are in a whole different world of their own .....

You think we'd know a little by now - but we're all still learning.

So a quick question. Doing parts inspection and making a shopping list. The reverse idler gear that the supplier list says 15 tooth count. The one in my transmission is a 16 tooth count. Would this make a difference?
    My reverse gear is a 29 tooth count, which is what they list in catalog for replacement.

Up until the mid to late 60's T90's had 16 teeth. For some reason the tooth count was phased in to 15 in the late 60's. You will find both 16 and 15 in T90's from the mid 60's and later. The gears are interchangeable.

Ok. So your saying I should be good with a 15 tooth gear.
    Thanks for that info.

The Problem Discovered

I just had the pleasure of meeting Scott in person! We had the opportunity to discuss this issue. In the end when Scott tore the trans down, he discovered the issue. Considerable wear was allowing the brass synchronizer rings to cock on the main shaft. This was causing the bizarre "lock up" symptoms.

Scott's family is busy protecting our country right now, so I figured I would let anyone following the dilemma know what the final outcome was. Sometimes the symptoms are very difficult to diagnose. When in doubt... rip it out!

Yes it was a pleasure meeting you Bob! Enjoyed the conversation. Yeah sorry I did not get back with a follow up, sometimes life gets busy. But yes I did not find the problem until I tore it apart. And then the issue was clear. Will include some pics of my discovery. Also any thing in question was replaced. When in doubt throw it out, I was told. All back together and shifts gears very nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice pictures of the Trans Scott. Like I said about your axle work, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in peeJ (mine).

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...chmentid=10955