Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Transmission????

When you say “front axle locked in” what exactly do you mean there scott?
    Transfer case locked into 4 wheel drive either hi or low range and or which?
    My thought (for what it’s worth) try turning the yoke in both directions in 2 wheel drive hi range then shift it to low range and try it in both directions.
    If it still locks up I’d say it’s a bearing going south in the transfer case somewhere.
    Last edited by TJones; 07-18-2022 at 08:13 AM.

Yes I locked in the front hubs. Shifted transfer case in. Tried high and low. Moved fine foreward, jumped and bound up in reverse. Unlocked the front end put took transfer case back out into regular drive mode.

Front axle is taken out of picture now. Shift to first gear clutch out cant turn by hand, engine off, push clutch I can turn yoke by hand both directions. Shift into reverse, clutch out, wont turn, clutch pushed in wont turn clockwise but will turn counterclockwise and does take a little more force and sounds a little louder.... this is all turn by hand at the yoke. When in neutral out of gear no clutch pushed in does like I described earlier......
    Hope I'm explaining ok,

But yes that's my opinion since I can see nothing broken but feel it turning by hand and the way it binds up is I'm thinking a bearing is going out... got that funny feeling I'll be pulling transmission out of vehicle.

That sounds like it could be one of the transmission’s roller bearing sets to me. I don’t think a ball bearing would act like that. Maybe the counter shaft bearings?
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Did you try turning by hand with the transfer case in neutral?
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

At this point I would say it can only be one thing. The reverse idler is the only item that is isolated in turning the output in reverse gear. It sounds like the bearings/shaft/gear assembly has some damage. When you had the cover off initially, the reverse idler is well hidden. It is possible you couldn't see or hear problems with it in the first test with the cover off.

Last test, remove the rear driveshaft, pull the cover off again, shift the transfer case into 2 wheel high. Repeat what you just did. With the clutch pedal pushed down, the transmission placed in reverse by hand, See what is happening when you try to turn the output.

Test performed as you described and here are the test results.....

In reverse position I can only turn output in one direction and there is resistance and some noise. I cannot turn in opposite direction. With gear in neutral or first it turns easy and in both directions. All gears are turning no broken teeth. Now when in reverse I try in direction that it wont go, and I jam output back and forth with force i will gain a tooth in direction it wont go....
    I assume i should be able to spin shaft in both directions in reverse with clutch pushed. So does this seem like an idler is bound up under the pressure of two gears? I think I'm convinced it is an idler/ shaft/ bearing gone out, if my assumption is correct.....we do not see anything obvious other than can only turn one direction...
    That's my results....

I give in, this tranny, transfer case and clutch assembly is as basic as they get other than a 800 piece Lego set and I’ve never seen anything as complicated as this
    It’s got me Baffled!!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 07-18-2022 at 07:58 PM.

Pull it out Scott. Lets take a look at the reverse idler.

Will work on that....

Sorry if I'm annoying people, it's the first time I've been inside a transmission.
    Thanks for advice.